Thread: Training kids

Default Training kids

I have this year formally started training my kid (and by invitation only, the kids of other forum / club members) in basic boxing, clinch, submission wrestling and street survival tactics.

They are too young for hard contact IMO, and we like to keep it fun so that they look forward to the training and not become demotivated.

Here is a clip of a mall robbery drill we did last week:

I have found that you have to keep it very simple at this stage, sticking to the basics, as their decision making skills are not yet adequately developed.

I would love to hear suggestions / drills / experiences from other trainers involved with training kids.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Default Re: Training kids

Very cool!

User

That's very cool 47. Myself, I haven't worked with that small, but making it fun would make all the diff. My grappling coach teaches a kiddy class, before our group starts and I saw some cool stuff. He uses the big core stability balls, one kid lies on top and needs to roll to other side of mat while buddies have to stop his. Great for balance exercises. Another drill he did to teach them to roll is once again laying on ball, tuck arms, legs and head in, then rollover forward with object of doing a complete 360 roll and land upright again. Tried it myself works lekker.

For "conditioning" he did bearcrawls and and walking. On all 4s but upside down meaning ass facing the floor.

That sounds cool, thanks Kreefstert! I also do some conditioning and "rules of engagement", but at this stage we just want them to have as much fun as possible!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

Pleasure! That's the most important, as long as they have fun they will stick it out.