Default Need to buy a new Rifle.

Hi guys and dolls,

I am getting on in years now - over 60 - and have a small trout farm although I still live in Johannesburg - the younger duds have all the info available.
    I have a few weapons - all licensed ( 30-06, side by side 12 bore, 2x hand guns) but think that I should get a .22 rifle for the cormorants that eat the trout. My current licence allows me 4 weapons -

Question - will I get a licence for a .22 ( I already have 4 guns)
    Is that the best weapon for the job
    What is the best .22 to get

Many thanks

User

Default Re: Need to buy a new Rifle.

You will need to get rid of your non-favorite handgun or else become a proffessional hunter or sportsman.
    .22 License is as easily obtained as any other as long as motivation is good.

Checkout the following .22lr's:

CZ452ZKM - new with synthetic stock
    Norinco JW15 - new model with sybthetic stock

Other wise look for a BRNO .22lr

CZ is the new name for Brno.
    The Norinco JW15 is a Brno clone.

PS - You must have a big dam if the 12 bore can't do the job.

User

This may seem like a strange option but give it some thought. What about getting a small caliber muzzleloader. A .32 ML will fire a 45gr round ball at up 2000fps but for your purposes a light load firing the same ball at around 1400fps will be more effective than any .22 load and 1 inch groups at 75 meters are not uncommon. Best of all, no license required and the entertainment value is unbeatable.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Use the 30-06 ;D Aim at the waterline of the bird you are wanting to blast, or you will shoot over its back. Coot and mallards could also be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuduvark
    You will need to get rid of your non-favorite handgun or else become a proffessional hunter or sportsman.
    .22 License is as easily obtained as any other as long as motivation is good.
    I do not agree fully. Yes he is at the so called 4 gun limit but I do not see that it is impossible to motivate the .22. I am not saying that the success rate will be 100% but I can't see why Bugsey could not make a try for this. The category would be a "Occasional Hunting" at the lack of any other more appropriate category and go and do a detailed and intense motivation. Show the use of the existing 4 firearms, show the requirements for new need, show how the existing firearms does not meet the need and thus the application. Show that it is required as part of the farming activity to controll problem animals. Show how none of the handguns, shotgun or 30-06 is suitable for this function.

I am not saying you will be successful but you can try. Yes having "Dedicated" status would be the 'easy' route to go and would open doors more easily but I do think that if properly motivated it could be done. It might not be easy and it might be declined but I do think that it could be done.

Just reading this thread again bought something to mind, If you are shooting at a bird on water please bear in mind that the bullet can come off that surface and keep going for miles. Look out for this.