Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat % for wors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Fat % for wors

Hi Guys

Going to be making wors for the 1st time next weekend, i have deboned meat (impala) weighing approx. 7kg.

I am not a health fanatic but like to keep it relatively healthy so i want to know what is the minimum fat percentage i could use and still enjoy a juicy wors roll?

I have also been warned against using kidney/organ fat, howcome/why?

User

Default Re: Fat % for wors

Are you drying it? If so, try source some fat persian sheep tails. I normally add 10%. I also don't use organ fat. Find it goes rancid quickly and also leaves that soapy feel on your pallette.

If making fresh wors, I add about 30% very fatty pork. At least half the pork meat volume should be fat. If a bit more health concious, just make sure there is more pork meat. Pork keeps sausage moist with very little flavour change to the core meat. I use a 70/30 ratio with my beef all the time.

I have only once before made the mistake of having pork meat added to the game mince for sausage making. This was on the insistence of the butcher I used at the time. Neither wife nor child ended up eating the sausage and I eventually gave it away to the gardener. Prior and since this one time my sausage recipe always stay the same - and I no longer use that butcher.

I use pure minced game meat for both dry and braai sausage. If there are a number of different animals then I have all their respective pieces added together and minced using a fine mince, not one with big holes. For dry sausage I use 20% sheep fat and for braai sausage I use 15% sheep fat. I prefer the medium sized casings for both dry and braai sausage, not the broad/fat/thick casings.

Very important - mince your fat and your meat together at the same time. Trying to add minced fat to minced meat always ends up in a poor distribution of fat. Your sausage spice you can add in afterwards.

User

My recipe's use 20% soft beef fat ( brisket fat ) for dry wors and about 25% to 30% for cooking / braai sausage.... Ultimately its up to you... If making cooking wors, fry a small patty of the mix in a seperate pan ( before stuffing into the casings ) to check... If you happy then go ahead and stuff em !

User

15-20% brisket fat for boerewors.

Last year we used 25% fat and 75% meat and it was waaaaay to fatty for me. I haven't made dry wors myself, but I know you must use the sheep tail fat as mentioned.

My problem is always where to buy fat and what it costs (prices very inconsistent).

User

Is the % fat measured as weight, or in ml?

User

As a weight. I use total meat mixture to calculate fat percentage. If I want 10kg wors with 20% fat mix it would be 8kg meat and 2kg fat.

User

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    As a weight. I use total meat mixture to calculate fat percentage.
    That is a lot of fat or am I wrong. Fat is not heavy? Btw, I've never made braai wors before but also wanna give it a bash.

User

I like a 16% ratio. If you use too little fat the wors will be very dry.

User

Some people I take a Persie skaap and cut it up toatlly and use it in droe wors mix (springbok) the the ration is about 30/70 . If you cut just pure fat then it will be down around the 15-16% (15/85). At least that is how I like it as well otherwise your droewors becomes like a rock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast