Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ P07 9mm

Default CZ P07 9mm

While I have never been in love with CZ pistols in general, mostly that is / was because I always found the classic CZ75 to have an overly long trigger reach, a mediocre DA trigger, and a very mushy, indistinct thumb safety if carried cocked and locked, which is the only method I will teach with that pistol since I do not allow thumb-lowering the hammer over a live round...an AD looking for a place to happen IMO. I am also not crazy about the small gripping surface of the slide should manipulation be necessary in a hurry. Still, 'junk' the CZs certainly are not!

The 75 is also a pretty big and heavy envelope for the 9mm if one wants a CCW handgun. It certainly 'can' be carried concealed, but there are much better choices available if one is not stuck with running what they have.

Over the past decade, or so however, CZ has brought out some different models that address these issues. Smaller, lighter guns that still carry 14-16 rounds (9mm) and use decocking levers to lower the hammer. Through it all, they have also managed to keep the well known reliability of CZs intact...no small thing when redesigning a gun or bringing out a new model, as many manufacturers have discovered.

Recently at a local Gun Show I ran into an old LE pal who was selling his M642 no-lock .38 snub at a really great price. I bought it, even though I really had no immediate use for it. Now as it happened, there was also a dealer at the show who I have dealt with in the past who is a great guy and who keeps his prices fair.

Eddie saw me carrying the 642 box and as usual said 'Hey brother! Let me trade ya outta that old snub gun'...meaning either he wanted it himself or knew he had a quick sale for it. Now Eddie brings a LOT of guns when he comes to a show...about 650 at this one. In this lot he happened to have two new CZ P07s in 9mm. One black and one with the OD frame...which I think is hideous. Having wanted to do more than just hold and dry fire a P07, and knowing that the teething issues have been resolved with the 9mm version, we entered into 'arms negotiations' :-) A short while later I left with my spankin' new black P07 9mm.

Now while I agree that 'feel' is not the be all and end all for a defensive pistol, I do not completely discount ergonomics either. A gun that fits your hand well also lets you concentrate more on shooting and less on learning to deal with an awkward grip shape or too long trigger reach, etc. For me, the P07 'feels' good in the hand. It points very well, has good trigger reach in both DA and SA and lets me reach the controls easily without them being inadvertantly activated from my grip or under recoil. The DA trigger is smooth, and the SA trigger pull excellent for a duty or CCW pistol...both of which are likely to be handled a lot and shot 'in extremis' seldom.

My usual CCW pistol is either my G19 or one of several 1911s...often my lightweight Officer's Model Colt, but I have no real gripes with a smooth DA/SA trigger, and have used many over the years...particularly Sigs and Berettas...both on and off duty. I was curious as to how the P07 would stack up against my current carry pistols, and as soon as I take delivery of a CCW holster I will find out how it carries in day to day use. Size wise, it is just slightly larger and heavier than the G19 but it does have some sharp edges although nothing that can't be lived with IMO.

First range trip was this past Monday. I took some old Winchester NATO 9mm FMJ (124gr) and a box of my current 9mm preferred carry load, the Federal HST in 147gr standard velocity trim. 200rd of NATO and 50rd of HST later, the CZ was perking right along...not a single bobble. It shot a little high with the 124gr stuff but was right on the money out to 25yd with the HST.

I am not crazy about the stock sights, but I can say the same about many other pistols. I will order a set of tritium sights from the CZ Custom shop next week, and I did order 3 spare magazines yesterday. Mags are, BTW, expensive and hard to find here in the states, and while I am pretty sure the factory mags are made for CZ by Mec-Gar, they do not yet offer them for sale commercially...hopefully they will. Hickock45 says in his review of the P07 that the CZ75 mags will fit and work, but CZ makes a point in their literature to say that is not the case. Since I don't own a 75 I can't say but if it is the case it will sure make range life easier for lots of shooters. For serious use I will stick with factory mags however.

I own this pistol, so I will not be doing any goofy torture tests such as burying it in mud, or tossing it from an airplane, etc. I will, however, be using it in my CCW rotation and shooting it more as time progresses. It will not replace my G19 but it will certainly supplement it nicely.

At this time I will say that I think the P07...in 9mm only, since the .40s are still having some issues...is a very viable choice for a CCW pistol provided one can find holsters and spares (I will change out recoil springs at 3500-4000rd just to be safe) and keeping in mind that magazines ain't cheap. Selling at about $100-125 less than the Glocks here, it is gaining in popularity, and once you work with one a while you can see why.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Default Re: CZ P07 9mm

thank you for the informative review Ikor-the Duty's definitely have a following here in SA.IMO it is a well priced solid ccw option.I have fired a few mags through a mates and it was a nice shooting handgun.

User

How do you find the slide on the PO7? I found it to be very small and tight? I honestly didn't like it at all when I fondled and shot it. Look forward to hearing some more on it ;-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by sl@de View Post
    How do you find the slide on the PO7? I found it to be very small and tight? I honestly didn't like it at all when I fondled and shot it. Look forward to hearing some more on it ;-)
    +1 That is what bothered me about it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sl@de View Post
    The CZs all share the reversed rails which tend to aid in accuracy but result in less slide mass above the frame. While I generally do prefer more slide to grab, I have never used my entire palm to manipulate a slide. Instead I tend to 'pinch' it between my thumb and index finger, so I really don't have a big problem with the CZ design. It is something one has to get used to but not a complete deal breaker, for me at least. Also, students running them in classes do not seem to have problems doing malfunction drills once they work with the gun a while.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

The thin slide is the one thing I've disliked from all CZ's ever. My buddy installed a 13lb recoil spring on his 75, and combined with those rear sights he installed it's quite an art to rack the slide quickly without getting a nip from the sights. The slide is so hard on his FA that my GF cannot rack it as she cannot grip it properly. I instructed her to rather turn the FA sideways (ejection port pointing to the sky, muzzle down range), get a solid grip on the slide (thumb, index and middle finger) and push the FA forward with her strong hand instead of trying to pull the slide back. It works for her, but she has to use momentum, even with my 85's rather soft spring. Comparing this to her father's pretty strong spring in his SP2, she racks that one EASILY. More gripping surface.

All this being said, my brother bought himself a Duty the other day. Now he has to wait a tad over 12 months before he can apply for licensing though. He's 19 currently, turns 20 in February. LOL, the poor kid is in PAIN I can see it!

User

Thanks for the posts. Relevant to me as my daugther has just kick-started her IDPA (SADPA) "career". She is using my Vektor SP2 and also need to turn the FA sideways to be able to grip the slide with palm one side and fingers other side (ejection port facing down, right hand shooter), pushing with strong hand forward to cycle. It is getting better though after some range time - I hope that eventually the hand strength will be such that she can grab it with the weak hand fingers in stead off the "full" grip as current (sweeping potential...).

I also saw the PO7 at the range while attending the NSO with her - did not shoot it though - the plus side for me is the controls are closer to hand for manipulation without shifting the gun around and grip feels good. Negative I picked up is the longggg trigger reset - compared with Vektor's and Glock's I own. I have checked on two other PO7's in gunshops and they were the same. One dealer stated it could be adjusted to be shorter - any confirmation on this?

B3

I do not find the reset to be as long as that of the P30 or a standard Sig but it is longer than my SP-1 or G19. While it may feel different I think you will find that it will not make any significant difference in actual shooting. People tend to obsess about 'splits' and whatnot but very seldom will you see splits in actual competition get below .20 or so if the shooter is getting good hits, and they matter even less in defensive shooting. Switching from one gun to another will always involve a learning curve.

You can probably gunsmith the return on the P07 to be shorter but for a serious use pistol I wouldn't bother since you will probably be much better off to spend the bucks on ammo and training...or on a model better suited to competition use if that is what you need.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

thank you for your reveiw IKOR . i know that a very large volume of these pistols were moving recently.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Update...

Went yesterday and shot another 300rd through the P07...250rd WW NATO FMJ and 50rd of WW Ranger T 147gr JHP. Boring. Gun just continued to go 'bang' every time trigger was pulled and hit what it was pointed at.

Worked on some strong hand only DA / SA combinations...the fact that I usually shoot DA revolvers, Glocks or 1911's shows on target, but the more I work with the DA / SA shots the better the hits get.

Cleaned and lubed when I got home...easy peasy. Very nice little pistola this far, especially for the money, although the high price of spare mags does sorta begin to even things up a bit. Give it another few hundred malfunction free rounds and I will start including it in the rotation I think.

Also ran a couple hundred rounds of 230gr PMP ball and 50rd of 230gr Gold Dot thru the Dan Wesson Valor...my current CCW since it has cooled down here. Gun is a tack driver and has been flawless since I got it. Extremely under rated pistol and every bit as nice as the Wilson CQB IMO...for about $1000 less.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast