Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ P07 9mm

User

Default Re: CZ P07 9mm

Gr8 review,thanx Ikor! Might just mke up my mind in regards to CZ/HK30 or Sig229 !

Another update...shot 200rd...100 NATO, 50 Fiocchi and 50 WWWB ball...through the P07 today. I am getting to the point where I really don't like these sights. I should have known I wouldn't since they are Glock clones, and I don't care for stock Glock sights either.

Also, after some 700-750 (I have not gone back and counted) rounds, the SA trigger still has a little creep in it...nothing unmanegable, but not ideal either. It pretty obviously is not gonna 'work out with a few hundred rounds'.

So today I ordered two more 16rd mags and a set of night sights for this baby. CZ USA sells the night sights for a very reasonable $85 a set but the $43 ea. price on the magazines makes up for it IMO. I really do want a somewhat better trigger but don't need 'match' grade. I may still send to CZ Custom and have Angus do me a trigger job, but the $150 cost will put me well ahead of the price of a G19, since the prices on magazine spares have already made things come close to that.

I do, however, still really like this little gun and am not about to give up on it. Also, CZ Custom, which is Angus Hobdell's site, does ship overseas, but only with appropriate paperwork...which ain't cheap. Angus is a jewell...seriously...a great guy and knows as much about the CZ pistols as probably any man alive today.

I seriously think I am gonna get a SP01 Shadow Custom from him next year...and for me. THAT is quite an admission...no joke.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Another update...shot 200rd...100 NATO, 50 Fiocchi and 50 WWWB ball...through the P07 today. I am getting to the point where I really don't like these sights. I should have known I wouldn't since they are Glock clones, and I don't care for stock Glock sights either.

Also, after some 700-750 (I have not gone back and counted) rounds, the SA trigger still has a little creep in it...nothing unmanegable, but not ideal either. It pretty obviously is not gonna 'work out with a few hundred rounds'.

So today I ordered two more 16rd mags and a set of night sights for this baby. CZ USA sells the night sights for a very reasonable $85 a set but the $43 ea. price on the magazines makes up for it IMO. I really do want a somewhat better trigger but don't need 'match' grade. I may still send to CZ Custom and have Angus do me a trigger job, but the $150 cost will put me well ahead of the price of a G19, since the prices on magazine spares have already made things come close to that.

I do, however, still really like this little gun and am not about to give up on it. Also, CZ Custom, which is Angus Hobdell's site, does ship overseas, but only with appropriate paperwork...which ain't cheap. Angus is a jewell...seriously...a great guy and knows as much about the CZ pistols as probably any man alive today.

I seriously think I am gonna get a SP01 Shadow Custom from him next year...and for me. THAT is quite an admission...no joke.
    Hey Ikor! When u say they ship overseas, but only with the right paperwork, what would that paperwork entail? And secondly, is there any difference between the normal SP-01 Shadow and a shadow custom?

Lots of difference...here is his site, and you can click on 'export dept.' at the bottom to see what he says about it all...

http://czcustom.com/CZ-Custom-New-Arrivals.aspx
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

thank you IKOR
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Thanks Ikor. Will look into it.

Hi Ikor, purely from a build quality and shootability perspective,(cost not an issue) how would you compare this with your P2000

I think the P2000 is more, well...'refined'...might be the term. Handling-wise I actually like this one better, maybe it just fits my hands better. The P2000 was the LEM version, and for pure 'shootability' the LEM is a little behind the standard DA / SA. Where the LEM shines is with handling in the sometimes hectic world of the street cop. Of course you can go to the light LEM setup if you take the trouble, but I would not do that with a compact I was using for SD. I do think the CZ is every bit as accurate, and once I could see the damned sights better, it was shooting one hole groups at 10-12yd. Once I get some better sights (for these old tired eyes) I am certain I can extend that, although it is not supposed to be a target gun, obviously.

Now when we add the fact that the P07 is less than half the cost 'out the door' than a new P2000 here and magazines, sights, etc. are about equal in price, the CZ comes out smelling like a rose. The HK will probably hold somewhat more of its value should I sell it at some point, but neother is ever gonna be a collector's item IMO.

CZ does not give details on the finish used on the steel parts of the P07, but I don't think it is just matt bluing. Something akin to tenifer or the finish being used on the M&P would be my guess. Whatever it is it does not seem overly sensitive to wear nor highly subject to rust, etc. A summer here (our climate in summer is very similar to Durban) will for sure tell about rust issues.

Holsters and other stuff are not very common here in my neck of the woods for either gun, and not too many makers even have moulds for the P07 yet, but with some effort they can be found. The P07 has a few more sharp edges than the HK but again, no big deal really. (Although once my holster comes in for it and it goes into the CCW rotation I may change my tune there) Parts can be had readily via either Angus or CZ USA and I should already have ordered a spare extractor, slide stop and some recoil springs. Apparently however, CZ has cured the slide stop problem as I have not seen anyone have one break (on the net) in quite a while now...likely just a bad batch or maybe a design change that needed tweaking.

I may also try changing the safety levers out and doing some cocked n locked carry with it...might be fine although the levers impress me as being a bit small. Certainly since I carry my 1911s C&L it would not be a problem for me and the CZ's lever does fall under the thumb pretty well.

All in all, I think this little gun stacks up amazingly well against all of its competition. Is it perfect? Nope, but neither are they, and the DA/SA trigger is one that many who feel uncomfortable with the 'safe action' guns like the Glock and M&P will prefer I think. For damned sure a DA/SA with loaded chamber is preferrable to a safe action pistol carried with an empty one! This is all about perception, not fact, since the safe action guns are every bit as 'safe', but people have their own opinions and some will not change...both the CZ and H&K cater to those who prefer the older system and both are quality products.

Anyhow, I am going to run this review to around 1000-1200 rounds and will then report intermittently on the pistol...I am not trying to do a Todd Green shoot fest or anything. Thus far the gun has done very well, and none of the older teething issues have surfaced, The cotton picking guide rod and recoil spring are a bit*h to get in on reassembly but allegedly the latest guns now use a self contained unit similar to others. The P07 has impressed me enough that I have made a firm decision to get a custom SP01 Shadow next year just for a range gun. I don't compete much these days and there really is not much local stuff here in IPSC. For IDPA I prefer to shoot carry guns from real concealed holsters and am not after trophies...which is probably a good thing since good eyes and fast reflexes are largely a memory nowdays. :-)
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Ikor,

Keep the comments coming - appreciated - it is probably another year before the purchase for my daugther (IDPA shoots) will become a reality, so I have time on my side :)

B3

User

Thanks for the review Ikor. All things considered I want to purchase a firearm early in new year. I never really considered the CZ. Just one straight up question if you don't mind......would you bet your life on the gun?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast