User

Default Maximum Rifle Weight

What is the ideal weight for a hunting rifle not dangerous game rifle. I am getting worried that my rifle with bipod, suppressor, laminated stock and scope is getting to heavy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Richard

User

Default Re: Maximum Rifle Weight

Hi Richard
    Rifle weight is a personal issue, too heavy for you might be fine for another even though average non da fa is about 3kg's, I prefer all my rifles on the lighter side(synthetic) non bull barrel. My 2c

User

My Sako 85 weighs just over 4kg. I can carry that rifle all day long.

User

Richard

If you think it is getting to heavy it probably is. Like most things, it is highly personal and subjective. Your perception can be changed! In the old days it was by carrying an FN-LMG around for a couple of days on patrol. 13.7kg's makes everything seem light by comparison

User

Thanks my rifle is clocking in at about 4.5kgs. It is fine under most circumstances but after a long day it gets a bit heavy. Then by the time you take the shot you feel all wobbly. I think the laminated stock is adding all the weight.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Richard83 View Post
    Thanks my rifle is clocking in at about 4.5kgs. It is fine under most circumstances but after a long day it gets a bit heavy. Then by the time you take the shot you feel all wobbly. I think the laminated stock is adding all the weight.

Thanks for the advice guys!
    You now want to add a Harris or similar bipod - not a good idea. That is why I suggested a loose bi- ot tripod that you carry in your other hand or have the guide carry. I am normally a good off-hand shot that would limit these shots to 50 meters. With a bi-pod I have had a 100% kill record on game out to 175 metres with these suppots from a standing position.

User

Thanks for the advice I do use a tri pod that I usually give the tracker to carry. I would like to get the bipod so that I can eliminate the need of having to carry the bipod. I hear what your saying about rifle weight.

User

Right so you're out in the bush and you see a stunning kudu bull... But wait you dont have a convenient tree or large rock so finally the rifle bipod is gonna prove its worth... You lay down and look through your scope... And then you find that the bipod that is so tacticool on the range is too short to use in the veld cause grass actually grows there and a longer bipod would be too heavy if attached to the rifle and would extend too far ahead of the muzzle when folded... Get the seperate shooting sticks...

The weight of the gun should be proportional to the caliber. Light calibers can be feather-weights. Big guns ... that is a large and complex area - depends on your recoil tolerance mainly.

You need to be reasonably fit to hunt and carry your own rifle. A gun that weighs 3.5 kg is not easier to carry than one that weighs 4.5 kg, all day long. That depends on how fit you are. If you not fit, even carrying 1kg in your hand the whole day will be very strenuous. I can go one half day with a 7 pound rifle, and need the next day to recover as well. I'm in reasonably kak shape.

A walking stick doubles nicely as a shooting monopod. Lots to be had for free in the bush. Those skinny bush trees that have thorns and look scraggly have very tough, light wood. Where they grow densely together, you get nice long straight sticks. Watch out for snakes.