Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Help. What chrono?

I'm plunging into the reloading scene head first. My reloading equipment is ordered and I'm anxiously awaiting delivery, but...

As I understand, a chronograph will be a indispensable part of my reloading kit. I have never seen one, never mind used one, how do I go about selecting one, what features is needed, what is just gimmickry? What price range should I budget for? Are there good brands and brands to avoid?

If it makes a difference, I will be reloading just for 9mm.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

User

Default Re: Help. What chrono?

A chrono isn't a must have purchase, although it does help.

If you can, perhaps consider trying to borrow one if funds are tight.

Prices range anywhere from R1300 to over R2000. I have a CED M2 chrono (retails for around R1900).

Shop around

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    A chrono isn't a must have purchase, although it does help.

If you can, perhaps consider trying to borrow one if funds are tight.

Prices range anywhere from R1300 to over R2000. I have a CED M2 chrono (retails for around R1900).

Shop around
    Thanks Psychosis.

I don't know anybody with one, but even if I did, I would not like to borrow something I'm going to shoot at, even if the aim is to miss it. With my luck .... Yea, no I'll rather get my own. Friendships could get a nasty bruise, yes?

Well the R2000 will fit into the budget, are you happy with the CED M2?

User

The point is not to shoot "at it" but rather through it. If you shooting at it, you doing it wrong ROFL

Yeah, very happy with the M2. Nice thing is that it is modular, in that the control box is seperate from the pickups. Means you can have the control box next to you on the table, with the pickups 7m down-range. Less chance of shooting the main unit like some other chrono models. Also, spares are available in case one does "do it wrong"

I get the odd error reading (1 in 20 shots), but once you are aware of these, and know how to clear them, the chrono performs well.

Also buy yourself a cheap camera tripod, makes life easier. The pickup module mounts to a standard camera mount\screw.

User

P.S. As mentioned before. A chrono is not a neccessity. Only becomes important if you are trying to develop loads to meet with sporting requirements\rules.

If you only loading ammo for rangepractice use, then go with the load that cycles your FA reliably... Actual velocity is not important for that scenario (although do check for over-pressure signs etc)

User

P.S. As mentioned before. A chrono is not a neccessity. Only becomes important if you are trying to develop loads to meet with sporting requirements\rules.

If you only loading ammo for rangepractice use, then go with the load that cycles your FA reliably... Actual velocity is not important for that scenario (although do check for over-pressure signs etc)
    Thanks again for all the help. I'll be using the reloads for IDPA, so I'll need to make sure my loads do make factor.

I Googled the CED M2 and I must admit I was impressed with the list of features. I noted the processing unit are separate from the measuring unit.

Will have to take a trip down to the ammo pusher to see if he have stock.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

User

The point is not to shoot "at it" but rather through it. If you shooting at it, you doing it wrong ROFL
    I have to add. The only "safe" place on the range is there where I'm aiming at. So maybe I should shoot at it to miss it. ROFL

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

User

Paladin, I have the early model CED Millenium chronograph (still has serial ports, newer model has USB port).
    I measured it against a Oehler 35P and it was pretty bang on.
    A lot of shooters at my club have bought the newer CED and my observations are that they get a lot of false readings from muzzle lasts from rifles shooting next to them. Some weren't giving readings at all, and a lot were sent back to the dealer where they were purchased. Said dealer has stopped stocking them and is now selling another brand. (Maybe it was a bad batch? Dunno)
    A friend bought a Pro Chrono and we checked the readings by setting it up behind my CED, so the bullet would pass over both sets of sensors.
    We were shooting in a North - South direction..Clear skies. Early morning (8.45) the readings differed by 75fps with the Pro Chrono reading slower. As the sun rose and the angle the sunlight hit the sensors changed, the reading difference dropped to 15fps. I think an opaque screen that filters the sunlight hitting the sensors would be beneficial. Maybe a piece of A3 white paper taped to the side of the sensor rods would help.

User

Whatever chrono you decide on, get one that has a seperate readout that you can have with you. It saves you walking to the chrono to get a reading after every shot.

The CED M2 is the way to go. That way you'll only ever have to buy one chrony.

In the case of chrony's, buying cheap is truly buying kak.

Give Jonathan at Shooting Stuff a call. It's a regular stock item there. They deliver.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast