Default SAFE INSPECTIONS AND DETAILS

My local DFO refused to accept my application since 2003 because my Category 2 & Category 3 safes weren’t bolted with four 25mm raw bolts in the floor and wall. I’ve contacted a few safe manufacturers regarding this matter. They all confirmed that the maximum stated insured value of contents will no longer be valid and that if you drill holes in such a safe that it no longer gives you the security and safe keeping standards as stated by the Category number. A safe under 300kg must be bolted to the floor and wall, anything above 300kg you can leave the bolts in the hardware store for someone ells.

Did any of you experencie problem regarding safe inspection or similar problems with the bolting issues?

Default Re: SAFE INSPECTIONS AND DETAILS

As far as my knowledge goes (and I stand to be corrected) a safe does not have to be bolted to both the floor and the wall. What if you live in a house with a raised wooden floor? The walls are standard brick construction but the floor is made of planks. Rawl bolts into timber ain't going to do to much.

I think that this specific DFO has it wrong. If this is the case my question is what recourse do you have to rectify this problem and still be in the clear with this person. If you report him (I do not know to who?) what guarantee do you have that he/she does not hold a grudge against you and now really goes and try to make your life difficult as you will still have to work through this person.

Default Re: SAFE INSPECTIONS AND DETAILS

Another problem I have heard of in this regard is the confusion surrounding SABS approved and meeting SABS standards. The act requires the latter, not the former. However most DFOs require the safe to display the SABS mark.
    For any object to be SABS approved it has to be inspected by them, thereafter they give their permission to affix the SABS mark. This of course, comes at a price.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal