User

Default Suppressor/Silencers v Accuracy????

Hi guys
    Recenly read an article on how important the face/crown of the barrel/muzzle is. This is the last phase of the barrel's influence on the further travel of the bullet & it has a crucial influence on the stability, & thus cosistency, of the following flight. At the moment of departure, the huge back pressure of the propelling gas behind the bullet is released in an expanding cone-shaped pressure wave, & for a short distance overtakes the bullet & then quickly dissipates due to its low mass. It is critical that the gas escape is completely uniform all the way around the perimeter of the bore's muzzle.......I am cosidering fitting a Silencer/Suppressor to my Tikka .243 to use while teaching my children to shoot. If I decide to use the rifle without the silencer/suppressor, & with just the thread cap on the muzzle. Will this not have an adverse affect on the rifles accuracy?????? ( When I say ACCURACY, I mean ability to shoot a consistent group, & not point of impact).

User

Default Re: Suppressor/Silencers v Accuracy????

To my knowledge the crown stays untouched, therefore no difference to rifles ability with only the cap on. I'll follow as well.

User

I have been told that suppressors can actually improve acuracy. However I am not sure and would check with your gunsmith.

When fitting a silencer / suppressor the crown of the rifle is untouched. The thread is on the outside of the barrel and the silencer screws on the outside of the barrel and not into the barrel. Your point of impact will however be affected by at least 2 - 3 inches so you will have to re-sight the rifle. The silencer reduces the recoil by quite a lot making it a lot easier to hold the rifle steady on the follow-through after the shot and thereby increases the accuracy. The silencer device does however not increase accuracy but the reduced recoil and the reduced noise for the little ones makes it easier to shoot accurate.