Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Clearing or ambush?

This is a very difficult situation. My suggestion is to stay barricaded and also make sure that at least one of your burglar bars is able to be removed in the event of fire. Maybe look at expandable security where you have a key and you can open it.

If you have to go looking for attackers, wouldn't flash bangs be be useful? ;-). where can one obtain these?

User

go to your nearest "little india" shopping district and ask for the biggest firecrackers they have. hopefully they have the kind with the matchhead striking compound on the fuse (otherwise tape a few matches around the fuse) and stick the striker side of one of those giant boxes of matches somewhere on your go-to gear.

talk about a fire-hazard though...

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    This is a very difficult situation. My suggestion is to stay barricaded and also make sure that at least one of your burglar bars is able to be removed in the event of fire.
    A bolt cutter or pry-bar in your safe maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremia View Post
    A bolt cutter or pry-bar in your safe maybe?

Thing is, you and I can use those because we have the strength. Ladies and children do not. But these trellidoors on the windows are quite nice!

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    Thing is, you and I can use those because we have the strength. Ladies and children do not. But these trellidoors on the windows are quite nice!
    You are right.... Don't have kids and didn't even consider that.

You are right.... Don't have kids and didn't even consider that.
    HAHA! Neither do I :-). Not arguing. Adding to the positive direction of this thread. The more input we get the better.

User

Ok to sum up so far.

Scenario 1: you know somebody is in your house and your family is with you and no fire. Best action: stay put and defend current position

Scenario two: you hear them coming in or you not sure that there is anybody in your house (after suspicious noice), go and investigate? What about locking rooms and check for status quo as ou move through the house. His will make clearing less risky.

Scenario 3: as above but need to think of an escape root in case of a fire. What about keeping a fire ext. in your room?

User

Quote Originally Posted by henno777 View Post
    Ok to sum up so far.

Scenario 1: you know somebody is in your house and your family is with you and no fire. Best action: stay put and defend current position

Scenario two: you hear them coming in or you not sure that there is anybody in your house (after suspicious noice), go and investigate? What about locking rooms and check for status quo as ou move through the house. His will make clearing less risky.

Scenario 3: as above but need to think of an escape root in case of a fire. What about keeping a fire ext. in your room?
    The experts say that scenario one is your best bet...but think each event got its own dynamics.

Scenario 2: Where would you take cover if someone does come your way and the door is locked next to you? This could be some of the potential issues if you start locking doors behind you and also the intruders could have broken the burglar bars in one of the rooms you cleared or they decide to change their entrance to that room – how much of the sound of breaking burglar bars would be muffled by a closed door and only to find the burglars inside the room when the house is “cleared”?

Scenario 3: Fire extinguisher is perfect and firmly believe a must for every household - but at what point would you notice the fire when you are fast asleep? Do you have fire / smoke sensors? When it just started or when it's a huge ball of fire eating away at your house? Fire blanket per person if the scenario allows? – not sure here actually but leaving the house and leaving the fire to the fire fighters seems to be a better option… Have no knowledge on firefighting... just know my ext. is rated for electrical fires as well... Hope someone can assist.

*Another issue… when you are busy clearing house; the burglars could have broken in via the roof and ultimately drop right through your ceiling in your safe room where your family is…and then?

User

the situation would be fluid, constantly changing.
    so, whatever gives YOU the tactical advantage at the time... is probably the best option.

User

The experts say that scenario one is your best bet...but think each event got its own dynamics.

Scenario 2: Where would you take cover if someone does come your way and the door is locked next to you? This could be some of the potential issues if you start locking doors behind you and also the intruders could have broken the burglar bars in one of the rooms you cleared or they decide to change their entrance to that room – how much of the sound of breaking burglar bars would be muffled by a closed door and only to find the burglars inside the room when the house is “cleared”?

Scenario 3: Fire extinguisher is perfect and firmly believe a must for every household - but at what point would you notice the fire when you are fast asleep? Do you have fire / smoke sensors? When it just started or when it's a huge ball of fire eating away at your house? Fire blanket per person if the scenario allows? – not sure here actually but leaving the house and leaving the fire to the fire fighters seems to be a better option… Have no knowledge on firefighting... just know my ext. is rated for electrical fires as well... Hope someone can assist.

*Another issue… when you are busy clearing house; the burglars could have broken in via the roof and ultimately drop right through your ceiling in your safe room where your family is…and then?
    Sc 2. Cover probably depends on your house but I have a hall way and believe the 12 gauge will stop an attacker in its tracks if they come from the front. I think at night with your senses 100 % tuned in, you will hear somebody breaking burglar bars through two doors. I don't suggest clearing the rooms and then lock. My suggestion is to lock the doors as a precaution every time and then test the door in the event of susp activity. Then it's a matter of testing the door and the room can be declared safe. If there is somebody in the room then they AT THE VERY LEAST going to make a noice before they surprise you.

Sc3 this scenarios is not only a fire but a fire started by BGs to drive you out of the room. So the simple solution to just leave the house will not always be the solution.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast