Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Ady is spot on with his deductions. Sad, but true. Farmer's do no take there security seriously. Some do , but most don't. I was asked by my uncle last week, why I carry a gun. We are all targets, I'm just not a soft one.

User

Default Re: Farm Attacks - 2013

I can't understand how people, both rural and in cities, still manage to be suprised in their homes. A few simple precautions can make it nearly impossible to be caught unaware inside your house during an attack of this nature.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I can't understand how people, both rural and in cities, still manage to be suprised in their homes. A few simple precautions can make it nearly impossible to be caught unaware inside your house during an attack of this nature.
    Denial?

User

Quote Originally Posted by farmer-el View Post
    Denial?
    Must be. I can't think of any logical explanation other than not having the financial means to acquire the necessary security systems. But from the article, the family is a very prominent farming family in the community which leads me to believe that they run a successful operation.

User

We were on Honeymoon two years ago. Stayed at a B&B on a farm, runby an elderly couple.
    Farm is in Himeville outskirts.
    I noticed there were no burglar bars on the windows, so I locked all the doors anc closed as much windows as possibel (for what it was worth).
    The next morning I was asked to not lock all the doors, as the workers could not get in if I locked the house !!!!

Due to it being a diving holiday, I decided not to carry....
    I felt terribly vulnerable....

The farm owners seemed to be more than satisfied with the "lack" of security

User

I dont trivialise farm attacks at all. I have family that farm. They are just as paranoid about their own security as i am. Their neighbours and surrounding farming community are not.

User

Denial sucks. . .

There's no way this family was still ignorant of the high rate of farm attacks. . .

Prayers for the rest of the family, a slow demise to the bastards who did this. . .

User

Interesting stattistic: my farm watch cell has ten farms listed (only nine are part of the group) of the 16 potential adult males in the group only two edc, the same two shoot idpa. One plans on joining idpa. Most have long guns and there are a few with handguns. We are in the WC and there has been enough unrest in the vicinity, yet this is the current level of carry. However, radios, celphone groups and an operations center (manned during times of unrest acctivity) as well as patroles are the order of the day. A very good relationship also exists between us and the police. So, is this comunity safe? Well at leaste it is awake and taking note.

User

Went hunting on a farm about 150kms from Bloem last year. Farmer saw my M&P and asked if I could have a look at his 38spl. There was something wrong and he has left it lying in a drawer in his kitchen(I shit you not). The cylinder was stuck due to dirt and after freeing it up we could get it to work again. Needed a good cleaning and that was all. It was in that condition for a couple of years and he just never got around to having it "fixed". Also know a couple of farmers in Richmond KZN that does not have Handguns at all but loads of Long guns in the strong room.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JacoS View Post
    Anecdotally, 'cause I don't have the stats to prove it, the impression that victims are mostly elderly may indicate that they are targeted not because they are ignorant but because they pose less of a physical threat.
    I am glad that your community is the farmers are more vigilant, but unfortunately ady is quite correct, I know a lot of farmers in quite a number of different areas and of these 2 are serious about their security and 2 are starting to think about becoming serious. I always try to talk to the ones with whom I have a close relationship about becoming more concious about it, most of them think the I am paranoid to EDC.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast