Thread: RSA Musgrave

Izak

Default RSA Musgrave

Hi there guys.

I am currently in the process of buying a 30-06. My choice of caliber is cast in stone, however I am not sure yet about which gun to buy. One option is an RSA Musgrave single shot bolt action. Apparently these were built for Bisley, or so I am told. Any comments on this rifle?

Default Re: RSA Musgrave

Hey Izak

Interesting you say the Musgrave single shot, I saw one for the first time the other day. It was a 308 with heavy barrel, they guy used it for Bisley, he swears by its accuracy and was looking for another one he liked it so much. I assume you want this for hunting, any reason you after a single shot? I'm sure I remember Classic Arms had some on auction late last year, can't remember what calibre, but they may know if there are any still around.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Izak

Craig, Christiaan at Classic told me about this one. I am indeed looking for a hunting rifle, and the fact that it does not have the internal magazine will be the deciding factor. My other option at Classic is an Antonio Zoli. I dont really know them at all, so I am 'n bit sceptic. Any feedback on ths make will also be appreciated. Then I am also considering one of two Musgraves at Blunderbuss.. What to do, what to do. :-\ :D ;)

User

What I've heard is that these RSA actioned rifles are very accurate - the rumour being that these actions were banned because they were "too good"! How true this is, I do not know ??? ::)

I don't think a single shot will place you in any disadvantage when hunting. You won't be going after dangerous game and you'll just need to make sure of shot placement. Just like the guys with their Ruger No 1's all over the world. ;)

These rifles were definitely built in 308 for Bisley but a reamer can change it to any 30 caliber you like. I know of one in 300H&H. It is possible to machine a magazine into the action. The rifle will however always be very heavy and difficult to carry on walk and stalk.

Izak

Thanks guys. I really am interested in this rifle. Will keep you up to date as things progress. ;) ;D

Izak
    I used to own one of those Musgrave RSA rifles in .308 Win. Very good rife with exceptional accuracy. It was built on the RSA single shot action but only with a slightly thinner barrel than your normal Bisley rifle. If i remember correctly only about 1000 was ever built. My number were RSA0006. The chamber on these rifles were exceptionally tight and only good factory or hand loaded ammo would fit. I managed 1/2 MOA accuracy easily with it over 100m. I even once won a PMP Pro Amm certificate with it with a 3 shot group of Pro Amm ammo of 22.3 mm.
    I used to hunt with it and it was exceptional in the hunting field. Even once shot 2 Impala within 20 seconds of each other. Once you mastered the single action you can load as quick as a magazine fed with the exception of your bullets not get any damage while forcing out of a magazine up a follower into a chamber. The RSA have one of the best feeding chambers I have ever used. A very smooth action indeed with a variable setting on trigger pull. I can not remember any 30 - 06 calibers ever being buildt but yes it is possible to change the chamber size. Hell even I once wanted to change mine to a 300 H+H.
    wilsa

Izak

Thanks Oom Wim. ;D I think I am going to put down my deposit on this rifle ASAP. 8) ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Izak
    ;D I think I am going to put down my deposit on this rifle ASAP. 8) ;D
    Hmmm.... Looks like someone has been scouring the house for small change after all! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D