Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ammo to avoid?

User

Default Ammo to avoid?

I was browsing through the older thread on the site and came across the horrible story Jurkrit who's weapon was put out of action by some crappy NGA ammo

I am within A few days of collecting my license card from the station ( as soon as the officer comes from leave ) and having saved my ars off and wanting A pistol for more than six years now, I would like to hear from the pro's (that would be the GS crowed) on witch ammo to avoid even not coming close to it with A borrowed stick

If that would happen to me I would probably cry myself half to death, and then go and make it my life mission to "talk" to all persons even remotely responsible

So could you guy's please give me the load down on what is good for SD carry, or something just to burn through at the range. I would rather shoot 10 rounds of propper ammo per month than heaps of stuff that may harm my baby

I am A first time, and first in family to own A weapon. so this is the only place I trust to give descent advice

my pistol (baby) is the CZ Duty 9mm

Thank you very much in advance for helping me, and all the best

User

Default Re: Ammo to avoid?

SD carry ammo you're going to struggle with. You may find a few PMP JHP's still, but they're not the best. Keep searching for brands and rounds like Federal HSTs or HydraShoks, Winchester Ranger Ts, Speer Gold Dots (if you're a millionaire) or something similar.

Range ammo should either be reloaded or decent ones bought. Good range ammo for sale is PMP's FMJ's and Winchester's White Box range ammo. Reloads to look at is probably Diplopoint or Nobleteq, although both have produced many a crap round in the past. Not much exploding, though. Luckily the Duty feeds many things, so you should be fine!

Stay away from NGA, as you said yourself, and ammo where you can clearly see it's not very lekker. With regards to shooting new ammo like PMP and Winchester, keep the spent brass and DON'T throw it away. If you don't reload them yourself (like you should, it's a relaxing pastime and saves thousands on the same amount of ammo in the long run), you can sell them. Most of the reloaders on GS would be interested in them.

User

Speaking of range ammo: I've been shooting S&B almost exclusively for a year now, and no hassles so far. They also retail about R80 per 100 cheaper than PMP's crap. That really raised my eyebrows!

User

"my pistol (baby) is the CZ Duty 9mm "
    Your baby will chew up and spit out any ammo you feed her!
    Guess ammo is like any other item, the cheaper it is the more carefull you must be in buying it!
    But do get the more expensive ammo for SD.

User

I've seen NGA 38spl ammo fail where the heads fell out and jammed the cylinder (ja you read that right). Happened to a handful of rounds from a few boxes. One other person on this forum was witness to this event too.
    I don't shoot Nobletech ammo either due to the massive variances in speed I've seen when chronographing.

Currently I carry Sellier and Bellot 9mm 115gr HPs as that's what's available at a price I can practice with regularly. I carry Hornady XTP 230gr in my 1911.

Stay away from anyone's reloads except your own. Get the new WWWB or S&B brass cased boxer primed stuff and save your once fired cases, then get a good reloading setup (I am hugely partial to the Dillon 550 / 650 series) and supplies and start loading your own range ammo.

SD stuff comes and goes in waves it seems, and may be difficult to find for a while once what is in-country currently is gone given the sales situation in the states, where it has virtually all been bought up at scapler's prices. There may still be a few rounds of the last shipment of Federal HST left...call the dealers listed on the site to find out for sure, but don't lolly-gag around...it is selling out fast!

Nice pistol! Now go enjoy it.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

thank you Toxxyc, very much appreciated!

I am strongly considering reloading/loading my own ammunition at some point in the not to distant future. I just need to sort the necessary licensing (cant load without one?) and buy all the loading gear. Ammo I know is not as cheap as it use to be, and loading saves you a grate deal. I think it was on GS that I read the average rough cost of loading on your own is in the aria of around the R2.00 mark per round (could be wrong/old info?)

from what I read on the site I might steer clear of Nobleteq and Dplopoint, Call me full of s#*t but I don't want to take the gamble. We all know re-icensing for A new weapon can be A hassle, and running around finding spare for A damaged weapon can take time leaving you defenseless (at least I would be, owning only one weapon at this point in time)

I can only imagine loading to be A grate and relaxing past time, and good way to save some cash and burn some time on those lazy weekends or after work

I guess with ammo like anything else, you get what you pay for...

User

Reloading is just buy the stuff and load. You may just not sell your reloads for profit or whatever. No other things needed. You just need to take your licence card to the shop if you want to buy primers and powder. Cases and bullets are bought without licences or anything. It's obsolete products, dead weights, if you may. Not licenceable.

EDIT: Oh, and if you reload your own ammo, you can load for as low as R1 per round. That's if you have the brass already, mind you. Buying good brass from the start (either new or from new ammo) though means you can reload the cases many, many times, even as many as 20 time or sometimes even more. Thus, the cost of brass is rarely calculated in the cost of reloading. I bought once-fired brass for 50c a piece, and they're creeping up on 5 reloads now. Still perfect, and tumbling + ultrasonic cleaning means they look like NEW brass every time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Reloading is just buy the stuff and load. You may just not sell your reloads for profit or whatever. No other things needed. You just need to take your licence card to the shop if you want to buy primers and powder. Cases and bullets are bought without licences or anything. It's obsolete products, dead weights, if you may. Not licenceable.
    So very-very-very good to hear!!! o happy day's!!! overtime here I come...

I must say to all on the site, you guys are the best. always kind and always good advice. GFSA making us all look like evil monsters can go and shove it where the sun does not shine, even if they think it does

User

I think GFSA guys are all butthurt because they don't have an actual caring community like us gun owners do, and that's why they are always making us look like monsters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast