Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default .357 Mag vs .44 Mag

What are the pro's & cons in using these two calibers for hunting up to Kudu sized game? I see most hunters use the .44 Mag. Surely good shot placement with a decent .357 would do just as well, or am I missing something? Also, not everyone can handle the .44 Mag recoil equally well?

User

Default Re: .357 Mag vs .44 Mag

Good shot placement is crucial with any caliber. However, should your shot not be perfect, like many of them are, you want the energy of the bullet to do enough damage to at least give secondary damage large enough to take down the animal (for instance, you miss the heart). .44 Mag would get my vote, regardless of the recoil. It's not like you're going to be popping off hundreds of rounds into the kudu anyway, is it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Good shot placement is crucial with any caliber. However, should your shot not be perfect, like many of them are, you want the energy of the bullet to do enough damage to at least give secondary damage large enough to take down the animal (for instance, you miss the heart). .44 Mag would get my vote, regardless of the recoil. It's not like you're going to be popping off hundreds of rounds into the kudu anyway, is it?
    Thanks. I have a choice between a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) & a S&W 686 (.357 Mag), both with 6" barrels. Would the 629 do the job?

User

I'm guessing so, yes. 6" is a lekker barrel. Gives you more velocity but doesn't carry too hard. Personally I'd look at an 8" barrel, but that's just me. Have you thought about the Taurus Model 44 yet? It comes with a factory fitted compensator and that'll help for the recoil...

User

The 629 would be my choice. You could hunt with the 357 but the 44 would give you that added bit of "security". Handgun hunting is all about getting closer and applying that one single perfect shot. That is not to say that you can not shoot some bigger animals, with the 357 (the rifle guys has this same debate) but the 44 will do it a bit better. 6 inch barrels are fine. Recoil is percieved differently by people, I quite like the thump the 44 gives, others dont like it. Remember you would not shoot full power loads all the time.

User

Thanks for the advice. The 629 it is, although I just love the looks of the 686 with the full length lug under the barrel - the gun just hangs on the target! Maybe I should get both????

User

Well, that's the obvious solution!

Quick Q - what is the average price of a revolver like that these days? .357/.44? Same price, and what more or less?

Handgun hunting has gripped me since I saw a rolly with a scope, and I'm really interested in it...

Quote Originally Posted by kayc View Post
    Maybe I should get both????
    This is a good idea! Handgun hunting definitely requires more than one handgun .

I started with a 44Mag (Ruger SBH), and am in the process of adding a 686 6" to the line up. I will scope the 686, as mine aleady has a rail. The SBH is just the nicest thing to shoot - recoil can be a little stout with hunting loads, but as pointed out above, it is not that bad.

Shot placement is critical with both cals - I just think that 44Mag gives you a bit more when targetting larger animals. I personally would not use a 357Mag on kudu sized animals.

User

Where can one get grips for a Astra 357 Magnum?
    Oh and Sweet, pics or it does not exist!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Quick Q - what is the average price of a revolver like that these days? .357/.44? Same price, and what more or less?
    I have no idea. This pair belongs to a mate who's offered them to me at a steal. They have hardly been shot & still have their original packaging etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast