Thread: 308 Musgrave

Default 308 Musgrave

Hi There

I inherited a 308 Musgrave from a family member and is busy with all the admin(licensing) for getting hold of this rifle. The rifle has a octagon shaped barrel and was originally bought as some kind of limited addition from Musgrave. The seriel number is 308BM0001, and I think the BM must stand for "Boere Mauser". Obviously the 0001 stands for the first rifle manufactured in that model. I copied and pasted the known musgrave models from Wikipedia into this thread because I can't find anything on the net that really describes this particular rifle. Has anyone maybe got any information about this rifle in specific or the model it originated from?

Musgrave Models

• "Veld Model"

• "Vrystaat Model" (MkI)

• "Presidents Model" (Mk II)

There were various other models to follow. These include but is not limited to the

• Mk III & Mk IV (Mod 98 based Santa Barbara actions and barrels - Serial numbers start with "R-")
    • LP 1000 series (LP 1001 and 1002 (and possibly a 1003 version as well)
    • Mod 80
    • Mod 83
    • K98
    • Mod 90
    • Mini Mod 90
    • Mod 2000 (Lyttelton action again)

User

Default Re: 308 Musgrave

If you can't find anything on the rifle it must be a DUD, let me know when you want to get rid of it!

Well, it is definately not the LP1000 that you have there. The LP stands for Lucas Potgieter and these rifles were made to his specs. for no-nonsense, super accurate, working guns. Heavy bull-barrel, no chequering on the wood, no gun sights. Ready for its telescope. It holds 5 rounds in its magazine. The LP1001 was without the magazine, a single shot rifle intended for sniper purposes for the Army. Manufacturing round about 1976.

User

There could be various answeres without more information. "BM" may well be for "Ben Musgrave".

There were some octagonal barrelled variations of the K98 I think . It had a "plesier- Mauser" style stock (very distinctive). I recall them being advertised through Sentraal Wes Co-op at that time. That may be a "Boere Mauser".

But Musgrave had various different models or special editions at different times and there was a custom shop too. A picture will help. The action close up / the barrel / the stock.

If no-one has an answer at least the pictures will be good to look at!

User

On the Jaracal forum there is a subsection just for the old Musgraves, with a lot of information regarding them and one or two people who used to work for Musgrave pop in now and again.
    I suggest you try them for information as well.

I've inherited a 9x57 Mauser also with the 8 sided barrel and heard it provides a little more stability.

image.jpg

Can anyone possibly help me with the twist rate on my .308 Musgrave Mod 83? 21' barrel
    is there any significance to the #0003 stamped,on the barrel?
    appreciated!

User

.308, model 83, third rifle produced.

Close the bolt of your rifle, stick the cleaning rod down the muzzle end, push it all the way down, mark the rod. pull the rod out again and watch the mark till it does a full rotation, mark it again. measure the distance between the marks and the distance from the tip of the rod to your first mark. that will give you your twist rate.

Appreciated. Rifle is at the shop, I thought someone might have known the twist rate. I will ask the shop to get back to me, thanks!