Thread: Rifle Stock Fit

Banned

Default Rifle Stock Fit

Getting an existing stock to fit the shooter properly takes a bit of time and trouble but it is worth it in the end. For the steps that follow, we assume a standard hunting rifle fitted with a scope.

To see how close the stock is to a proper fit, do a test and have someone observe and help. This is not a one person job.

1. With someone watching, stand comfortably, as you would normally when observing a target and you are about to bring up the rifle to take an offhand shot.
    2. Close your eyes.
    3. Shoulder the rifle and point it at the target without moving your head forwards, backwards or to any side.
    4. Open your eyes.
    5. Move your head untill you have a clear sight picture through the scope.
    6. Do this a couple of times and then let the person who is watching, measure by how much you must move your head every time. Use the tip of your nose as a reference point and a short ruler to measure how far the movement is.

a. The second knuckle of your thumb must be 100 to 120 mm away from the tip of your nose. The length of the stock must be adjusted to get this right.
    b. If you have to stretch forwards to get a clear picture in the scope and (a) is right, move the scope back in the rings and vice versa.
    c. If you have to cant your head towards the rifle and you do not plan on losing a lot of weight, the stock must be cast off (away from your face) and vice versa (cast on).
    d. If you have to drop your head forwards or crunch down on the stock to lower your eyeline to get through the scope, the comb must be lowered or the scope must be raised and vice versa.

General items to note.

# "a" to "d" above are not absolutes to be done one at a time. They must be adjusted slowly, moving from one to the next and going back again, until the fit is good.
    # The line of the comb must drop to the front so that the line along the top of the comb is higher at the rear than at the front. This allows the comb to move away from the shooter's face under recoil.
    # the pistol grip circumference must allow a comfortable grip and the thumb must not be strained upwards or at an uncomfortable angle.
    # The pistol grip must leave enough clearance and have a steep enough angle so that the knuckle of the middle finger does not contact the back of the trigger guard under recoil. Owners of original English built 416 Rigby rifles will know what this is about.

If I can assist with anything, ask away.
    hpy180

Default Re: Rifle Stock Fit

Gerard thanks for the post, how does one go about modifying the stock that comes std. Will gunsmith's do it or can it be acomplished at home. I am a wood worker and feel the need to modify my .308 musgrave stock.

Banned

You can do it yourself if you do not become anxious and remove too much too fast. Best would be if I do some pictures as it would be easier to follow than wordy description. I am doing a 98 standard stock for my daughter's 220 Swift and a Musgrave 30-06 for myself and have done some reshaping already.

I will get a page started on our site and build it as I go along with the work.

Pictures work for me. Please post a link to your site when you are ready for us to have a look,

Thanks again
    Ryan

User

What if you have a composite stock? The stock on my Remington Sendero SFII doesnt fit me well, my build isnt perfect for over the counter stocks (thick arms and neck). Can a gunsmith alter composite stocks?

Banned

Injection molded stocks are wysiwyg. Laminated fibreglass or kevlar stocks can be made to specified dimensions to order but it is expensive. Once done, altering them is best done by a panelbeater who understands fibreglass. I am partial to laminated wood stocks as they can be ordered oversize in the important dimensions and modified to suit. They have the properties of rigidity and inertness that are attractive features of laminated glass/kevlar stocks. Can't say I care for injection molded stocks. They resist glass bedding and are usually not rigid enough.

Hi Gerard

Are there any books you would recomend as I am now interested in working on my stock to shape it to fit properly, I see Pferd has a selection of wood files, Any info you can offer me would be greatly apreciated. I have an extensivly equiped workshop for both steel and wood work.

Secondly when I mount the rifle with my eyes closed and then open my eyes I am looking at where open sights would be, at the scope mount bases. No scope will ever get that low and I have mounted the scope as low as it will go. I must add that I prefer open sights but understand the apeal of a scope. What now? Raise the comb?

Thank you
    Ryan