Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Argument for Gun Ownership - A letter sent via e-mail

Evening gents,This is a so called letter I have received viae-mail. I do not know how true the story is it came with, but I think theauthor sums up what alot of us feel with regard to private gun ownership......

The e-mail: Interesting take and one you don't hear much. .. . . . Read this eloquent and profound letter and pay close attention to thelast paragraph of the letter....

MARCH 23, 2007 by MARKO KLOOS

why the gun is civilization.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job.
    That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker.

If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone.
    The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.
    It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act

User

Default Re: Argument for Gun Ownership - A letter sent via e-mail

Very nice

User

Posted it to fb.

User

Awesome is the only word I have! Thanks!

User

A nice read, very simple idea

User

Yup, that's Marko Kloos (who is currently touring Germany I believe :-) Stick his blog on your RSS feed.

great read

User

Very true, now can the SAGA's of this country get this mesage to the rest of the population and media in a similar fashion that GFSA is advocating the opposite falacies?

User

Here is my letter:

To Gun free South Africa:

I was a ranking South African Policeman for 12 years.
    I left the South African Police Services in 2000 (for better income), with an outstanding service record and fortunately with a sane and mature mind.
    I have seen - and experienced all unlawful events - and actions of physical violence that homicidal criminals inflict upon vulnerable and defenseless law abiding Citizens, regardless of the weapons they chose to use against their victims to accomplish their murderous deeds.
    I can vow out of experience that gun control does not work and that it is a threat to all law abiding citizens’ constitutional right to life.
    Criminals will obtain firearms or any weapon or object used as a weapon for that matter, regardless of the law. So arguing that law abiding citizens shouldn't be allowed to own firearms holds about as much water as arguing that no one should be allowed to own firearms.
    Naïve and hypocritical gun control organizations like Gun Free South Africa are empowering homicidal criminals. Fact: Since homicidal criminals, by their very definition, will never obey laws, the laws should be attuned to defeating such lawbreakers’ murderous excesses. Which in cases like this, would mean that any law abiding Citizen should be allowed to get a firearm permit and defend themselves. If you disarm all law-abiding people with no provision to protect them, then the criminals will know that they have the advantage and can kill at will… and kill they will.
    Gun control individuals should rather start doing something positive to Society and focus on the criminals themselves by for example joining the SAPS Reservists. Firearms in the hands of law abiding firearm owners aren’t the problem, homicidal criminals and their affiliated mouth peace, namely Gun free SA are the problem and as mentioned, a threat to law abiding democratic Citizens’ constitutional right to life.
    You will only leave the vulnerable (sheep) defenseless, with no proper means to defend their own lives, (which licensed Firearms as a tool offer), against evil homicidal maniacs (wolves) that are roaming our streets and preying on vulnerable and defenseless Citizens.
    Gun control has never - and will never work.
    Gun control = lawlessness = anarchy = genocide.
    The current Firearms control act of 2000 with its amendments, has had no positive effect in reducing violent crime in this Country; it had the reverse effect of empowering homicidal criminals and disempowering law abiding Citizens. Just look at the homicidal statistics of violent crime, house robberies, hi jacking, rape etc. and look at the innocent, vulnerable and defenseless victims that were targeted and in most cases brutally murdered.(Their God given right to life was unlawfully taken from them without them having any means to defend their constitutional right to life.)
    As with gun free England, gun crime as they like to call it, by the hands of criminals has increased significantly since gun control or banning as it may, was introduced in that Country. The influx of illegal guns in Britain could not have been obtained (stolen) from law abiding British citizens as they do not own firearms. So where did the criminals get these illegal guns from? Same is happening in South Africa as influxes of illegal guns from neighboring Countries are rive and impossible to control. Makes one think doesn’t it?
    Violence in general has also subsequently increased in liberal gun free England as knife wielding English football hooligans and youth gangs are ruling the streets. Law abiding UK Citizens were rendered defenseless by their hypocrite government and are being” imprisoned” in their homes, too scared to go where they wish to go in fear of being attacked, robbed and assaulted. Exactly what we have here in South Africa but we have it worse, we are being attacked and killed in our own homes.
    The Police cannot be everywhere all the time, some people cannot afford armed response (what a cliché), and some people are too weak and old and some are physically unable to put up a fight to protect themselves.
    Through my experiences in all the years in the SAPS, I have seen that lawful self defense (protecting your right to life) through the responsible ownership and lawful use of Firearms by law abiding Citizens do work and saves lives.
    Law abiding South African Gun owners are disgusted and fed up with Gun free South Africa’s lies and anti - Democratic propaganda through the media.
    Irresponsible and dangerous comments by certain Gun Free SA representatives on live TV that we as law abiding Citizens do not have the right to self defense is bull and goes against our constitutional right to life.
    They even use other people’s misery e.g. the Oscar Pistorius saga to fit their anti gun agenda and act on emotion in an attempt to brainwash people into joining their liberal/fascist believe that gun control or a total ban on guns is the way to go, where as IT IS NOT!
    "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." - Matthew 7:15
    Sadly, our Government and gun control advocates are busy inflicting damage to law abiding Citizens’ rights to life (murder), dignity (rape) and freedom (imprisonment in our homes) through Gun control that at the end boils down to a threat to Democracy.
    Gun free South Africa’s propaganda (lies about law abiding Firearm ownership) is also a disgrace to South Africa’s constitutional right to freedom of speech as they are spreading unsubstantiated lies about legal firearm ownership, that will get more law abiding South African Citizens killed by the hands of homicidal criminals.
    The Democratic choice if you want to, or do not want to own a firearm lies with you, (peoples values differ) but do not try and criminalize lawful - and responsible South African gun owners through propaganda in a Democratic society, it is unethical and very undemocratic.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
    Here is my letter:

To Gun free South Africa:

I was a ranking South African Policeman for 12 years.
    I left the South African Police Services in 2000 (for better income), with an outstanding service record and fortunately with a sane and mature mind.
    I have seen - and experienced all unlawful events - and actions of physical violence that homicidal criminals inflict upon vulnerable and defenseless law abiding Citizens, regardless of the weapons they chose to use against their victims to accomplish their murderous deeds.
    I can vow out of experience that gun control does not work and that it is a threat to all law abiding citizens’ constitutional right to life.
    Criminals will obtain firearms or any weapon or object used as a weapon for that matter, regardless of the law. So arguing that law abiding citizens shouldn't be allowed to own firearms holds about as much water as arguing that no one should be allowed to own firearms.
    Naïve and hypocritical gun control organizations like Gun Free South Africa are empowering homicidal criminals. Fact: Since homicidal criminals, by their very definition, will never obey laws, the laws should be attuned to defeating such lawbreakers’ murderous excesses. Which in cases like this, would mean that any law abiding Citizen should be allowed to get a firearm permit and defend themselves. If you disarm all law-abiding people with no provision to protect them, then the criminals will know that they have the advantage and can kill at will… and kill they will.
    Gun control individuals should rather start doing something positive to Society and focus on the criminals themselves by for example joining the SAPS Reservists. Firearms in the hands of law abiding firearm owners aren’t the problem, homicidal criminals and their affiliated mouth peace, namely Gun free SA are the problem and as mentioned, a threat to law abiding democratic Citizens’ constitutional right to life.
    You will only leave the vulnerable (sheep) defenseless, with no proper means to defend their own lives, (which licensed Firearms as a tool offer), against evil homicidal maniacs (wolves) that are roaming our streets and preying on vulnerable and defenseless Citizens.
    Gun control has never - and will never work.
    Gun control = lawlessness = anarchy = genocide.
    The current Firearms control act of 2000 with its amendments, has had no positive effect in reducing violent crime in this Country; it had the reverse effect of empowering homicidal criminals and disempowering law abiding Citizens. Just look at the homicidal statistics of violent crime, house robberies, hi jacking, rape etc. and look at the innocent, vulnerable and defenseless victims that were targeted and in most cases brutally murdered.(Their God given right to life was unlawfully taken from them without them having any means to defend their constitutional right to life.)
    As with gun free England, gun crime as they like to call it, by the hands of criminals has increased significantly since gun control or banning as it may, was introduced in that Country. The influx of illegal guns in Britain could not have been obtained (stolen) from law abiding British citizens as they do not own firearms. So where did the criminals get these illegal guns from? Same is happening in South Africa as influxes of illegal guns from neighboring Countries are rive and impossible to control. Makes one think doesn’t it?
    Violence in general has also subsequently increased in liberal gun free England as knife wielding English football hooligans and youth gangs are ruling the streets. Law abiding UK Citizens were rendered defenseless by their hypocrite government and are being” imprisoned” in their homes, too scared to go where they wish to go in fear of being attacked, robbed and assaulted. Exactly what we have here in South Africa but we have it worse, we are being attacked and killed in our own homes.
    The Police cannot be everywhere all the time, some people cannot afford armed response (what a cliché), and some people are too weak and old and some are physically unable to put up a fight to protect themselves.
    Through my experiences in all the years in the SAPS, I have seen that lawful self defense (protecting your right to life) through the responsible ownership and lawful use of Firearms by law abiding Citizens do work and saves lives.
    Law abiding South African Gun owners are disgusted and fed up with Gun free South Africa’s lies and anti - Democratic propaganda through the media.
    Irresponsible and dangerous comments by certain Gun Free SA representatives on live TV that we as law abiding Citizens do not have the right to self defense is bull and goes against our constitutional right to life.
    They even use other people’s misery e.g. the Oscar Pistorius saga to fit their anti gun agenda and act on emotion in an attempt to brainwash people into joining their liberal/fascist believe that gun control or a total ban on guns is the way to go, where as IT IS NOT!
    "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." - Matthew 7:15
    Sadly, our Government and gun control advocates are busy inflicting damage to law abiding Citizens’ rights to life (murder), dignity (rape) and freedom (imprisonment in our homes) through Gun control that at the end boils down to a threat to Democracy.
    Gun free South Africa’s propaganda (lies about law abiding Firearm ownership) is also a disgrace to South Africa’s constitutional right to freedom of speech as they are spreading unsubstantiated lies about legal firearm ownership, that will get more law abiding South African Citizens killed by the hands of homicidal criminals.
    The Democratic choice if you want to, or do not want to own a firearm lies with you, (peoples values differ) but do not try and criminalize lawful - and responsible South African gun owners through propaganda in a Democratic society, it is unethical and very undemocratic.
    Well done.

Brilliant

Sent from Brukutu's Mobile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast