Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Why does san parks use the R1

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    I first saw the monolithics that they load in 2012. Shown to me by the guy there that loads them.He explained that they did tests and found the penetration to be significantly better than the FMJ's. They gave me a sample of that bullet that I still have ... somewhere...

I have asked them today what they load.

They load 180gr dzombo - ms solids. I have photos of the bullets and loaded cartridges. No excessive OAL, appears to be within specs.

They say dzombos are also made in a 154 gr.
    Would you be able to post some pics? Do you know what kinds of loads they are using and what velocities they are achieving, especially out of shorter-barreled FALs?

Also, do you know if this is a standard cartridge or if they just top off some mags with them or have a separate magazine loaded with them, using regular ball ammo for the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
    Would you be able to post some pics? Do you know what kinds of loads they are using and what velocities they are achieving, especially out of shorter-barreled FALs?

Also, do you know if this is a standard cartridge or if they just top off some mags with them or have a separate magazine loaded with them, using regular ball ammo for the rest?
    Have a look at their website and Facebook page and other hits when you Google "dzombo".

http://fimase.co.za/dzombo-bullets/
    https://www.facebook.com/dzombo.bullets/
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ted-Ammunition

I have asked the guys there at the KNP for further info - may take some time to receive a response, they are rather busy always, but I am sure Dzombo themselves or Peter Wells will be able to provide load data, I see Mr. Wells is involved with Dzombo from his recent post as per the above link.

I have send the photos to Paul, he may have more patience than me in trying to upload the photos here, but it looks exactly like the pics on their website and Facebook page for what it is worth.

What use would you have there in the US for a monolithic such as this if I may ask? Normal 308 FMJ has awesome penetration as it is through barriers, compared to .223 at least.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I first saw the monolithics that they load in 2012. Shown to me by the guy there that loads them.He explained that they did tests and found the penetration to be significantly better than the FMJ's. They gave me a sample of that bullet that I still have ... somewhere...

I have asked them today what they load.

They load 180gr dzombo - ms solids. I have photos of the bullets and loaded cartridges. No excessive OAL, appears to be within specs.

They say dzombos are also made in a 154 gr.
    Well... I'm totally stumped then.

I can't see them working, but in the face of evidence to the contrary I must apologise and reverse my position.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Have a look at their website and Facebook page and other hits when you Google "dzombo".

I have asked the guys there at the KNP for further info - may take some time to receive a response, they are rather busy always, but I am sure Dzombo themselves or Peter Wells will be able to provide load data, I see Mr. Wells is involved with Dzombo from his recent post as per the above link.

I have send the photos to Paul, he may have more patience than me in trying to upload the photos here, but it looks exactly like the pics on their website and Facebook page for what it is worth.

What use would you have there in the US for a monolithic such as this if I may ask? Normal 308 FMJ has awesome penetration as it is through barriers, compared to .223 at least.
    Partly, I'm just curious as to what they use, especially since I figured spitzer ball ammo was less than ideal for defensive use against dangerous game (W.D.M. Bell, when 7.62X51 came out, suggested loadings for this purpose with the 220-grain RN solids).

I've been favouring using RN bullets for hunting or defensive purposes (I use 215-grainers in my .303, for example), with defence mainly being against cats or bears (attacks are rare, but one should always be prepared; a woman was killed just the other day by a cat while hiking in the mountains) and I'm looking to find a load I like for 7.62X51. If I were to carry a FAL instead of a bolt-action, the one I'd take has a 17" barrel and so does the bolt-action I'd likely take instead since it's lighter and slimmer. I'm curious to see what works in shorter-barreled 7.62mm rifles and in self-loaders, including loads using lead bullets and at this point monolithic bullets as well (for the reasons below).

Within my own State, lead ammo is banned in many areas for hunting and will in the near future be banned statewide. So that forces me to look at things like monolothic bullets and I haven't looked into them much as of yet. So if they have a load that works well in the shorter-barreld FAL for their purposes, it should also work well in the bolt-action I have and be suitable for anything I might want to use it for short of long shots here in California (although I'm not a fan of long shots absent necessity for hunting).

User

From what I gather, and I suppose there are good reasons for the lack of clear info, the monolithics are primarily used in the R1's for culling elephants, primarily from an aircraft. I would guess that reliable feeding may not be critical.

On the ground they seem to use mostly 458 bolt actions (CZ/Brno) where protection against pachyderms is required, and for culling.

The R1's carried by anti-poaching teams would likely be loaded with FMJ (military Ball) ammo for reliability.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    From what I gather, and I suppose there are good reasons for the lack of clear info, the monolithics are primarily used in the R1's for culling elephants, primarily from an aircraft. I would guess that reliable feeding may not be critical.

On the ground they seem to use mostly 458 bolt actions (CZ/Brno) where protection against pachyderms is required, and for culling.

The R1's carried by anti-poaching teams would likely be loaded with FMJ (military Ball) ammo for reliability.
    No culling, so that point is mute. And it's field guides that use 458s, not field rangers.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    No culling, so that point is mute...
    I know they will never admit it in public, but what else would the park buy thousands of monolithic bullets for annualy?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I know they will never admit it in public, but what else would the park buy thousands of monolithic bullets for annualy?
    Elephants were culled very successfully with normal fmj ammo for many years in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Elephants were culled very successfully with normal fmj ammo for many years in the 80s.

Correct and I know this for a fact as I was present more than once too.

User

Hi All
    I have stock of Dzombo .308 bullets in 150, 165 and 180g if anybody want to do some load testing for R1 use. They have the typical Dzombo config. They are around R200/20 without delivery or can be collected in Roodepoort.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast