Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: .416 Ruger

User

Default .416 Ruger

I currently own a .416 rigby but this weekend i saw and handled and shot the .416 Ruger in the Alaskan that was in last months Magnum. All I can say is "sweet mother of Guns"
    it is an amazing looking rifle and feels like a gem in my hands.
    I think i need to get myself one of these and very soon, but I know nothing about the .416 Ruger except what Koos wrote in the article and that was not that much about the cartridge.
    has anyone here ever used the .416 Ruger on Game and if so how did it perform.
    over the crony it was as fast as my .375 while pushing 350g bullets.
    i think cases are also going to be a bit of a mission to get.

User

Default Re: .416 Ruger

S&O has cases now if you are going in that direction. I have the 375 Ruger Alaskan, I love it to bits. Not sure about the performance of the 416. 375 Ruger cases are not easy to get so when I see them I just buy. I would get one if you liked it, you won't regret it!

There's a bit of load testing here

http://lambdacode.com/reloading/docs...ger/index.html

The rifle will perform as well as you are able. Recoil is manageable, and easier on the shoulder than a 45-70. For me at least, that was the case. I've got a kick-eeze magnum pad on the way to replace the factory one. It doesn't really need it, but I'm a recoil sissy off the shoulder.

Follow up shots can be made quickly, and reloading can be done without removing the magazine.

I managed to score 4 out of 5 on the running buff stage at one of the BASA shoots last year, shooting 380gr at 2350 fps.

No hunting with it yet.

User

on papper there is nothing the rigby can do that the ruger can not do, its just that i really like the Alaskan and i think i need one.
    now to try and see what angle i can use for the licence.

any ideas?

User

Short, thick bush follow up weapon easily maneuverable in tight places due to shorter barrel, less likely to snag on vegetation/clothing.

If you a member of BASA, just motivate for it in a different category.

Otherwise, as a hunter, say you need a compact rifle for bushveld hunting, and present invoices for past hunts as proof that you do hunt in the bushveld.

User

Eland, kudu, buffalo, elephant hunting. Practice stalking skills by getting as close as possible to game using open sights. BASA shoots. What more do you need.

Now I know you said it can do all the rigby can, but that is at very nearly max pressure for the .416Ruger. Also check out the .416 Remington Magnum, does the same at slightly lower pressure than the Ruger.

The Ruger can't really do all the Rigby can, but it overlaps at the low to medium end of the Rigby capability. The Rigby has much longer legs - at 416 Ruger ballistics, it's still only warming up with case capacity in reserve.

The marketing from Ruger implies it's the theoretical equal of the Rigby, which is true up to +- 2300 fps with 400gr, but past that it can't really go.

Still, it's a very well made rifle, well worth owning.

User

Been playing around with the motivation and i think i might come right.
    all points above i have used for the .375 and .416 rigby except the short barrel point.
    i used my PH licence for motivation on the Rigby, i think i will use my trail guides as motivation for the Alaskan as its a much lighter rifle.

User

Evening all
    Im a trail guide and this rifle is exactly what im looking for, does any one know who stocks these rifles and what price I can expect to pay. Also how do the hornady dangerous game solids compare to monolithic solids?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast