User

Default My BLR and advice on kitting it out for hunting

I got a very welcome email that my blr had arrived, was in the stock and I had paperwork to pick up.
    Costa from Loris International brought this in for me from Europe.
    Cal 308 win, suppressor not mine, just to gauge how it would look wrt length etc:

My intended use is for bushveld hunting, some pigs, but mainly table meat, blue wildebeest, waterbuck up to small eland.

First on the shopping list is glass off course.
    Currently, I'm aiming for a VX2 3-9X40, will definitely complement the colour scheme.
    But, for pigs, in my very limited experience of a couple of warthogs this isn't ideal and a red dot will be more suited.

With the use of a rail available on brownells, I've been toying with the idea of using a Burris PEPR mount to accommodate a reflex / red dot on top or one could mount the red dot at 45 degrees using a typical AR style mount.

Will a top mounted red dot be too high?
    Any other ideas, I could opt for the illuminated version of the VX2 3-9X40, or save for a VX3.

Decisions, decisions.

User

Default Re: My BLR and advice on kitting it out for hunting

Did not know about the BLR. Awesome gun!

Have you considered something like a 1.5-6x25mm type of dangerous game scope for this gun?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Nah, this is not gaming, don't over complicate with multiple aiming solutions.
    If this is going to be your bush gun then fit something like a 2-7x32.

User

Reposting some image links, perhaps a mod can edit my first post and replace with working ones.

Banned

Is there a possibility to use a base for quick detachable scope rings? That should enable you switch between a telescope for daytime hunting and a red dot scope for pigs at night.

User

The VX2 3-9x40 is all you need on the BLR. A 2-7x32 as per Messor's suggestion would also be more than adequate.

I am not sure why you think that warthog would require a red dot scope. If you are expecting some close up or close running shots on pigs then walk with the scope on it,s lowest setting.You will shoot far quicker and more accurately with the scope [practice with both eyes open] and a decent cheek weld than you would having to lift your face off the stock to see through a red dot.

For close by,snap shooting at distances up to 15m or so i cannot actually say that i even look through the scope,obviously i do but not as a conscious though.I simply lift and shoot as if i had a shotgun in my hands.

If a further shot then presents itself,you have time to select a higher magnification.

In low light conditions you will still see clearly enough to shoot through a scope.As the darkness increases then the first thing you cannot see is the crosshair. It is then getting to a stage where you need night vision.

In shooting bushpig with only moonlight as illumination then a scope with an illuminated reticle does help.The illuminated part must only be a tiny centre dot set at its lowest or the dot flares in the scope and you can see nothing.When it is really dark then the worst thing you can use is a red dot scope. You have no light gathering lenses and even on a low setting you cannot see past the red glow.

My opinion,if you really think you will be shooting pigs close up and you are set on an illuminated reticle the get something like a 1-6x 32 with an illuminated reticle. But yeah,a standard 3-9 would proberbly suffice.

User

A PEPR would have the scope too high to get a good good cheek weld and it would be impossible to get a good weld with the red dot dot on top. I’ve got a QD PEPR on my AR but there’s no way one would work on a BLR. Instead of a VX-2 why don’t you get a VX-R so that you will have a scope and red dot in the same unit?

Attachment 27744

User

Thanks for the input. I've been reading up on the VX-R scopes and thus far I think that is what I am going to go for. Thus far it seems that a VX-R 3-9x40 is currently cheaper in SA than a VX-R 2-7x32 which seems a bit counter intuitive.