Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Buying your first rifle – Deciding on a calibre

Thanks for the positive comments all. I was hoping this had some value.

EugeneGlock23, bonesgun is right, there is no single perfect rifle, only the one with which compromises you can live with. Like I said in one of the first paragraphs, much of this will eventually come down to personal preference. For instance, if I were in your shoes, I'd be partial to the .308 (gosh, a .30-06 owner saying THAT! Blasphemy!) fearing some meat damage from the .270. JouDoring's advice to settle for a 150gr bullet in the .270 is sound though. If you reload, going heavier or using monometal bullets will also help reduce the meat damage to acceptable levels. The heart wants what it wants so get the .270 if it speaks to you.

Tordiffe, you are (mostly) right about the parent cases. I did not include a whole host of detail on that seeing as the prospective first rifle buyer would probably not care about that info much. I only mentioned it in the 7mm Rem Mag's case to indicate the large case size relative to bullet. Incidentally, the .300 Win Mag is also based on the .375H&H. The whole Xx57 family is also essentially the same case necked up or down to fit different bullets.

The one aspect I disagree with you is the 9.3x62 being based on the .30-06. Due to the 9.3x62 being released in 1905 and the .30-06 in 1906 (from there the somewhat random "-06" bit) this is technically not possible. The 9.3x62 could be based on the predecessor of the .30-06, the .30-03. According to Wikipedia the dimensions are as near as dammit but one would have to consult a more authoritive source to check the dimensions and development history. The 9.3x62 sure looks like a .30-06 case blown out and necked to 9.3mm!

Despite not owning any myself, I also have a fascination with the metric calibres. Pity that they are not so easily obtainable as some of them, like the 7x57, is really gold. You'll certainly have to scratch around to find that 8x68 you are looking for if you do not have a gunsmith build you one. If you find two, let me know!

User

Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated!

Nice post, would make a great sticky that can be expanded on as you think of new things.

A point to consider.

As a 6.5mm owner all you say is true of the calibre but you may wish to point out that most commercial ammo is loaded to be used in the older versions of this rifle. Although perfectly satisfactory at these lower pressures you may want to mention that to get the most from the modern 6.5mm one would want to handload.

User

Not owning a 6.5x55 (my father has a 6.5x57 that will need a home at some stage) I was not aware of this but this is a common occurrence in cartridges with a military origin so it is not totally unexpected. Yours is the kind of first-hand information that adds value for the intended target audience, thanks Andrew!

If the mods agree they can sticky this. At least then Hunting Rifles will also have a sticky. Depending on if this happens and if there is more good feedback I might do one on rifle selection (action types, stock types, metal types and finish, brands etc.). It takes a lot of time to write something like this so if it doesn't make it to a sticky, I'll not invest time in another write-up that just disappears behind the new posts.

User

Mods, get this stickied immediately please !! ;)

Tetelestai, that really is an awesome write up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    Mods, get this stickied immediately please !! ;)

Tetelestai, that really is an awesome write up.
    It's an excellent write up, but then we have debated every caliber endlessly before, the first thing a newbie does is post a new thread, instead of just searching for it, the mods can write in big red letters search for the f@cking caliber and still it won't help. So I fear making it a sticky won't help either, but lets see, hope the work haven't been for nothing.

User

Haha Messor, sadly you may be right! But then again, maybe just clicking on the yellow highlighted post under Hunting Rifles may be slightly less effort than going to the search box, figuring out a search term and then actually move your fingers across the keyboard and push buttons. Who knows?

Glad such a diverse collection of shooters from all ages and hunting areas are reacting this positively to the post. I've tried to be balanced, avoiding a calibre flame-war, even though I obviously have horses in the race myself.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    Haha Messor, sadly you may be right! But then again, maybe just clicking on the yellow highlighted post under Hunting Rifles may be slightly less effort than going to the search box, figuring out a search term and then actually move your fingers across the keyboard and push buttons. Who knows?

Glad such a diverse collection of shooters from all ages and hunting areas are reacting this positively to the post. I've tried to be balanced, avoiding a calibre flame-war, even though I obviously have horses in the race myself.
    But then again ...... you can click on the yellow highlighted post and all it needs to say is:

Newbie, buy a 308!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    But then again ...... you can click on the yellow highlighted post and all it needs to say is:

Newbie, buy a 308!
    not a 30-06?

User

It has started...

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast