Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Noob to EDC - CZ MOD 83 Browning

Hi Guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum over the last 12 months while waiting for my SD firearm license. Well, the waiting is finally over and I should have it in my hands hopefully tomorrow or Friday!

I have a couple of questions regarding EDC, Holsters, Ammo, etc, etc.

I will tell you what I have already picked up on here so I don't repeat things that have already been discussed.

1.) I see that some people refer to the .380 ACP as a "mouse gun". I guess it’s still better that nothing though. This was my dad's firearm which has been in the safe for nearly 20 years, and after much persuasion he said I can have it. In hindsight, I should have probably gotten something “bigger”, but I’ve got it now, so maybe in future…

2.)Ammo choice? I see some people recommend FMJ for the .380 instead of Hollow Point for better penetration? I do have a spare mag as well.

3.) I have contacted Geoff Carter regarding a holster, but unfortunately he is in Cape Town and I am in Ellisras and he doesn’t have a mould for a CZ83, so what would the second best option for an IWB holster be?

4.) EDC, I know it means EVERY DAY, but at the moment I don’t plan on carrying to work. I see that the consensus is to carry 1-up. I’ve read that the CZ can be carried either hammer down DA or locked and cocked SA. Is there a significant difference between the two or is it personal preference?

Any other help/tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

User

Default Re: Noob to EDC - CZ MOD 83 Browning

I often carry a CZ 83 ...

Whether this is correct or not (frowned upon or not), this is how I do it.

IWB Nylon holster. Hammer down - so first shot it DA. (Just take care when holstering the gun, to ensure that the trigger is not being depressed\pressed when pushing the FA into the holster. 'Ride' the hammer with your thumb to feel if the hammer is moving, whic will happen if for some reason the trigger is getting squeezed).

Some will argue that the above isn't a great idea for 2 reasons:
    1) You need to drop the hammer manually after loading one up... AD waiting to happen?
    2) A sufficiently sharp hit\knock to the hammer will result in an AD (There is not drop safety on the FA in this condition, so if for some reason it falls out of your holster, it could be a problem, or if you yourself fall over in a weird way)

I carry Magtech Gold 85gr Hollow-points in th3 CZ 83...

User

P.S. I carry at appendix, thus the nylon holster...

If you carry at 3:30 or 4 o' clock, a good kydex\leather or full kydex holster may be a better option (better retention, and less chance of the trigger getting squeezed.

User

Thanks for the info Psychosis

P.S. Does anyone know why my post doesn't show up in the "New posts" section?

User

Quote Originally Posted by njvdwesth View Post
    Thanks for the info Psychosis

P.S. Does anyone know why my post doesn't show up in the "New posts" section?
    It will only come up under the new posts if someone other than you has posted a response in a thread (new posts only) which you havn't read yet...

The 'New Posts' is just that, new posts which you havn't read.

User

9mmS hollow-point loads that expand a little and penetrate enough are the Critical Defence from Hornady, the XTP also from them and the 102gr Golden Saber from Remington.
    Ball is not a bad choice if you cant get the above loads, S&B and Magtech are well made and reliable.
    Get another mag or two.

Shoot as often as you can so that you make the most of a less than ideal situation.
    CZ83's are reliable and easy to carry, 13 rounds is better than 7 or 5 so you are not on the bottom rung of the ladder if those shots hit what you are aiming at.

User

I have an 83 and use Hornady critical defense.
    Carry with one in the chamber, hammer down. I know it is safe but cocked and locked makes me nervous.
    I do not think it is a mouse gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    I often carry a CZ 83 ...

Whether this is correct or not (frowned upon or not), this is how I do it.

IWB Nylon holster. Hammer down - so first shot it DA. (Just take care when holstering the gun, to ensure that the trigger is not being depressed\pressed when pushing the FA into the holster. 'Ride' the hammer with your thumb to feel if the hammer is moving, whic will happen if for some reason the trigger is getting squeezed).

Some will argue that the above isn't a great idea for 2 reasons:
    1) You need to drop the hammer manually after loading one up... AD waiting to happen?
    2) A sufficiently sharp hit\knock to the hammer will result in an AD (There is not drop safety on the FA in this condition, so if for some reason it falls out of your holster, it could be a problem, or if you yourself fall over in a weird way)

I carry Magtech Gold 85gr Hollow-points in th3 CZ 83...
    +1

I carry a CZ83 as well. When I bought I was clueless about guns and thought the guy in the gunshop was a gun guru.

Psychosis, on point 2, my CZ83 has a hammer block. There is no way the hammer can touch the firing pin if the trigger is not engaged.

I also wanted a Geoff Carter so I'm planning a holiday to CT as an excuse to visit Geoff. I did buy a Kydex holster from Marius at Jizni on this forum. Check him out.

if you want a leather holster, Ross Leather.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DJ173 View Post

Psychosis, on point 2, my CZ83 has a hammer block. There is no way the hammer can touch the firing pin if the trigger is not engaged.
    I will check mine again...

Empty case with just a primer, and will see if I get get the pin to hit the primer

Wonder if inertia (dropping the FA on the end of the barrel) is enough to set it off? (not that I am going to try this one)

User

What is IWB holster and OWB i have been reading these carry terms quite a lot and don't know what they mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast