Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Please explain the Lion business to me

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    Messor, Many of the videos Ive seen are hunts of canned lions. Walk and stalk of wild lions may seem simple on video, but it really isnt. Propper wild lions will not sit waiting to be shot or gawked at when approached by a group of people or even a lone individual. Go tracking lion on foot and see what I mean. Its not super hard, but the risks are high and you need to be abl;e to spot it early. Quite often when you do spot it, you may not have a viable shot. Mostly when I spot the lion, all Ive seen are ears or a bit of fur. Dont get me wrong, i have no interest in hunting lions personally. I enjoy tracking them and seeing them on foot. For me, a perfect lion sighting on foot is to get in and out undetected and see it nicely. not always possible. Ive had many many charges and have not yet to have to shoot one, mainly because they werent injured or wounded.

I have also used the flush method as well especially when I was under great pressure to get my guests some viewing before they leave. (not ticking lion of the list is a big bummer for them) I havent gone as far as some who actually herded lions with stones out of "no go" areas into friendlier territory
    Thanks, good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I have watched a lot of Sci Fi videos, and now I'm an Astronaut...
    Unnecessary, are you a hunter springer?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Thanks, good explanation.

Unnecessary, are you a hunter springer?
    Springer is a bit cheeky but he has a point. (Not aimed at you M because you clarified your position.) Too many people read a few articles and then bestow honorary degrees on themselves. I think Springer is wrong in this case but perhaps his comments are aimed at the great unwashed!

I value comments made from experience and questions based on reading.

Like reading the dates that people posted in this thread that has gone to grave?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

ha ha - only read it now! Still valid though - Cecil!

User

While the thread has been resurrected now, allow me to add some recently gained knowledge. And it was not gained from watching canned lion videos...

The spread of bovine TB in the KNP seems to be unstoppable. The KNP lions also get infected (they eat buff), and often die from TB. So far, there is no effective treatment or cure for the whole population. It is quite possible that all KNP lions might die out in the not too distant future.

If that should happen, and it is a real possibility, the park will have to be re-stocked with fresh (uninfected) lions. Where will theses come from? The only relatively "safe" source are the many captive lions in the breeding programmes. The same scenario has already played out with other species.

While I have my reservations on the ethics of farming lions like sheep, this just might be the species' salvation. In this scenario, the "conservationists" who oppose the breeding of captive lions (that have to be financed by the hunting industry, who else?) if succesful, might just be the one's responsible for the extinction of the species. Strange world we live in.

User

@A-R

Very slim silver lining to that cloud...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    No that's not true if you do walk and stalk. Then its proper challenging. Hunting overa bait is less so but still challenging unless a vehicle is involved. Especially for vehicle habituated lions.
    I know the thread is quite old but I would like to give my opinion....ie the above quote.I have hunted Buffalo and Elephant in Zimbabwe on more than one occasion.I'm no no PH and have very limited experience compared to Bushboy but I can't agree with him more.Out of the big 5 excluding Rhino's ( let's say you replace them with Hippo),I would be the most nervous to hunt lion on foot.Especially in tall grass as we encountered in the Matetsi one year.Hunting over a bait might have merits to some individuals due to time constraints with clients etc,but ultimately the true challenge would be on foot.I,ve tracked Buff with lions also in the equation hunting same herd and it was nerve racking to hear them close and not being able to see.I believe that from a cost perspective and the way the world is going we might be the last generation to hunt the Big 5.Would I like to hunt a lion in the age old tradition of walk and stalk...definately ... would I be s#% scared ... hell yeah.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3