Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Please explain the Lion business to me

The post above does refer to areas where there are multiple prides of lions. In small populations, essentially 1 pride systems (think small private reserves), lions are so heavily managed that removal of individuals is pretty much a necessity to prevent other problems. In this respect its very much like canned lions but at least the animal is a bit more wild. The reserve manager essentially simulates a dynamic lion population by removing individuals and introducing new ones as he see's fit. This is both to control numbers, and introducing new blood from a genetics perspective. And then there is the revenue incentive too. Thankfully lions breed like flies in the right conditions.

User

Nice Bushboy!

R.I.P.

Do I understand correctly that Lion hunting with a modern rifle, be it canned or wild Lions, is not much of a challenge?

No that's not true if you do walk and stalk. Then its proper challenging. Hunting overa bait is less so but still challenging unless a vehicle is involved. Especially for vehicle habituated lions.

Quote Originally Posted by francois.viljoen View Post
    Do I understand correctly that Lion hunting with a modern rifle, be it canned or wild Lions, is not much of a challenge?
    Um Ja. You can see that on the videos on the other Lion thread. Looks like a relaxed walk in the bush...

User

I have watched a lot of hunting videos, it includes a lot of lion "hunts".
    Every video shows them walking up to a certain distance from the lion, and shooting it, mostly the lion is lying down when shot at.
    So yes sometimes you have to walk a lot before you find something to shoot at. I really don't think(like mentioned) there is any skill involved.

Look, I am not stupid, the guys who follows up a wounded animal does have skill, shooting a running animal and having the balls/remaining calm while doing it takes skill/experience, but what does that have to do with the bloke/bloken who "hunts" the lion in the first place, the person who paid for the hunt still goes home with his lion and the title of great white hunter.

Messor, Many of the videos Ive seen are hunts of canned lions. Walk and stalk of wild lions may seem simple on video, but it really isnt. Propper wild lions will not sit waiting to be shot or gawked at when approached by a group of people or even a lone individual. Go tracking lion on foot and see what I mean. Its not super hard, but the risks are high and you need to be abl;e to spot it early. Quite often when you do spot it, you may not have a viable shot. Mostly when I spot the lion, all Ive seen are ears or a bit of fur. Dont get me wrong, i have no interest in hunting lions personally. I enjoy tracking them and seeing them on foot. For me, a perfect lion sighting on foot is to get in and out undetected and see it nicely. not always possible. Ive had many many charges and have not yet to have to shoot one, mainly because they werent injured or wounded.

I have also used the flush method as well especially when I was under great pressure to get my guests some viewing before they leave. (not ticking lion of the list is a big bummer for them) I havent gone as far as some who actually herded lions with stones out of "no go" areas into friendlier territory

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I have watched a lot of hunting videos, it includes a lot of lion "hunts".
    I have watched a lot of Sci Fi videos, and now I'm an Astronaut...

R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    No that's not true if you do walk and stalk. Then its proper challenging. Hunting overa bait is less so but still challenging unless a vehicle is involved. Especially for vehicle habituated lions.
    This makes sense yes.

How difficult is it to walk and stalk a lion, compared to other game?

I imagine something like an impala or kudu is more alert and likely to sprint away at the first sign of danger, since they are used to being prey. Because lion are at the top of the food chain, is it fair to say that they are easier to stalk and thus, easier to hunt?

R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I have watched a lot of Sci Fi videos, and now I'm an Astronaut...
    Grow up Springer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast