Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CPF Guidelines and General Discussions

Since the CPF is very much appreciated by our citizens (and LEO's in general) in the prevention of crime, I would like to start this thread with information and discussions to assist current (and future) CPF members to ensure that we all act within the ambit of the law. Please feel free to share your experiences and comments on the CPF.

As a start here is the introduction as posted on the SAPS website as it relates to Sector Policing (can be found here http://www.saps.gov.za/comm_pol/sect...policing.htm):

What is Sector Policing ?
    Sector Policing means policing that focuses on small manageable sectors of a police station area. Sector Policing is a tool to implement Community Policing.
    Purpose of Sector Policing
    • Perform targeted visible police patrols
    • Ensure a rapid response to complaints
    • Address crime generators
    • Investigate reported cases
    • Provide a localized policing service to the community in accordance with their respective needs
    What is the role of the Sector Commander?
    • To mobilize and organize the community in the sector to take action against local crime together with the police.
    • To act as liaison between the community of the sector and the local police station.
    • To act as a crime prevention officer, which involves being responsible for all plans and projects to address crime in the sector
    What is the role of the community?

• Attend the Community Police Sub Forum meetings to discuss action plans with the sector commander in order to deal with crime in the sector
    • Participate in neighborhood initiatives to safeguard the area in which they live, work and play
    • To take ownership of community policing and support the SAPS in the enforcement of the law
    Structures for Community involvement in Policing
    • Reservists (SAPS)
    • CPF (SAPS Act)
    • Community Patrol Groups
    • Street Watches
    • Street Committees
    • Neighborhood Watches
    • Business Watches
    Community Safety Structures affiliation
    The Community Police Forum is regulated by Section 18 of the South African Police Act, 1995 (Act No 68 of 1995) Interim Regulations for Community Police Forums and Boards (Section 3 regulates the establishment of a Community Police Sub-Forum)
    Community Police Forum objectives according to Sec 18 of SAPS Act, 1995 (Act No 68 of 1995)
    • Establishing and maintaining a partnership between the community and the Service
    • Promoting communication between the Service and the community
    • Promoting co-operation between the Service and the community in fulfilling the needs of the community regarding policing
    • Improving the rendering of police services to the community at national, provincial, area and local levels
    • Improving transparency in the Service and accountability of the Service to the community
    • Promoting joint problem identification and problem-solving by the Service and the community

Community Safety Structures affiliation (how?)

Hand in a written application to the Community Police Sub-Forum in a sector and provide the following:
    • Constitution and code of conduct
    • Name of the watch structure
    • Descriptive map of the sector, area block, estate, complex in which it operates
    • Names, addresses and contact numbers of the members of the watch structure
    • Names, addresses and contact numbers of the executive committee members

Difference between Reservists and Patrol Groups

• Reservists
      • Appointed under the South African Police Service Act, 1995 (Act No 68 of 1995) , Section 48
      • Has the same powers as a police member (e.g. Arrests, investigate)
      • Receive training in: firearms, legal aspects, basic police functions and procedures, etc

• Patrol Groups
      • Affiliated to the sector Community Police Sub-Forum
      • Limited powers e.g. Citizens arrest
      • Limited training (e.g. Basic knowledge of the laws, crime scene management, first aid, etc)

Operational functions of the Community Safety Structures

• Eyes and ears of the SAPS
    • If the need arises, carry out a citizen's arrest in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act, 1977 (Act No 68 of 1977), section 42
    • Performing patrol duties that will serve as a crime deterrent
    • Preserving crime scenes when first on the scene
    • Facilitating good relations in the neighbourhood
    • Rendering a voluntary service
    • Reporting crime and crime in progress to the SAPS
    • Creating crime prevention awareness amongst the community

Limitations on the powers of the Community Safety Structures

• No promoting of political agendas/ interests
    • No promoting, marketing or selling of security equipment/ services
    • Cannot request or enforce registration/ membership fees
    • Cannot act as a police official
    • Cannot participate in crime prevention operations with the SAPS (e.g. "Stop and search", roadblocks, etc)
    • Cannot wear or use the SAPS insignia in any way on a person or private vehicle
    • May not use any rotating/reflecting light of any colour on a private vehicle for the purpose of visibility during patrols
    • A community police forum, sub-forum or board has no power of command and control over the Service or any member thereof:
      No member of such a forum or board may:
      • Wear any insignia or identification mark in respect of any political party, organization, movement or body while attending a meeting of a CPF, sub-forum or board
      • Utilize his or her membership of a CPF, sub-forum or board for political interests

• Not entitled to have access to police registers or files without approval
    • May only use property belonging to or under the control of the Service with the prior written approval
    • The Service is not obliged to provide office accommodation
    • No equipment or SAPS store items may be issued to a member of a Community Police Forum, Sub- Forum or Board
    • No such member may be allowed to utilize a police vehicle
    • May not establish itself as a section 21 company
    For more information on sector policing, contact your local police station.
    Gun shows are like strip clubs, you get to see alot, touch a little, but nothing ever comes home with you.

Default Re: CPF Guidelines and General Discussions

Here is a very informative guideline created by one of our retired Lt Col's. Will definitely help to prepare you as CPF member.CPF-COC.pdf
    Gun shows are like strip clubs, you get to see alot, touch a little, but nothing ever comes home with you.

User

Community policing in Mexico, from The New Age 26 July 2013, page 25.
    Last edited by Jo.rademeyer; 26-07-2013 at 10:17. Reason: Additions

User

romeopappa: not sure if you are still active, but in any event... thanks for this!

I have a meeting with the 'something must be done; shoot all people seen on the streets between 12 and 4 am with paintball guns!'-brigade in our neighbourhood tomorrow and the document linked in your second post is exactly what I needed now.

Unfortunately the link in the first post is broken now since SAPS updated their website... anybody got an updated link for me please?

@romeopappa: again!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

PS: @Jo.rademeyer, thanks for adding nothing valuable at all.

[b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Thank you very much bud!

Whereabouts are you guys?

User

js4 you annoying creep who posts too much, my addition, if it bothered you so much to waste another useless post, was to show community policing in Mexico.

Read the title of the thread, and stop trolling. You are becoming very annoying.
    Last edited by Jo.rademeyer; 20-01-2015 at 23:42. Reason: adjectives

Hmmm... pity our Polizei were not very helpful with our CPF venture. Could have been awesome!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jo.rademeyer View Post
    js4 you annoying creep who posts too much, my addition, if it bothered you so much to waste another useless post, was to show community policing in Mexico.

Read the title of the thread, and stop trolling. You are becoming very annoying.
    Ok man.

Message received.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast