Default A good way with Rock Pigeon Breasts

I got the idea to post this recipe, when going through the “best for the pot” thread, over on the hunting forum.

My favourite way with rocky breasts is:

- sear them on both sides in hot butter/goose fat/duck/fat. Take them out the pan to rest for 5mins. - Deglaze pan with a capful of brandy and take it off the heat for a minute or so.

- Place pan back on a low heat, add 4 table spoons of plum jam and about the same amount of good soy sauce (Kikkoman, at the least...dont mess around with Hastey Tastey and other MSG loaded bombs), let this bubble for a minute or so.

- Slice the breasts up, dont worry if they are a bit bloody still, as you then add them back to pan to heat up for 2 mins or so. This takes away the largest part of the redness.

Serve with whatever blows your hair back. My Mrs likes them on top of a salad for a summer lunch – which is when we shoot our rockies here in the Cape.

I also do duck breasts in this way, and I like these on mustard mash, with a pile of steamed veg. Easily the match of a good hearty shiraz! You will have to go a long way to find better winter fare.

[Hot damn, look at that, it is lunch time...thought I was getting hungry!]

Default Re: A good way with Rock Pigeon Breasts

A certain chap I know does a mean Rocky Breast Pate which is a great addition to snacks... will try and get the method and post.

OK, I've been told it's on the Wingshooters site: http://www.wingshooters.co.za/pdf/re...DaggiesPBP.pdf

Thanks Springer, that looks seriously lekker! I like Mr vd Westhuizen's comment about 250g of butter for 500g of meat "Moenie skrik nie, dit is lekker!" (translated: "dont catch fright, it is super tasty"...I mean HTF would you translate "lekker"?)

@Springer, I will prolly see you again on Sunday am, assuming that you are going to the RSE sruvey(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Thanks Springer, that looks seriously lekker! I like Mr vd Westhuizen's comment about 250g of butter for 500g of meat "Moenie skrik nie, dit is lekker!" (translated: "dont catch fright, it is super tasty"...I mean HTF would you translate "lekker"?)

@Springer, I will prolly see you again on Sunday am, assuming that you are going to the RSE sruvey(?)
    Yip.

for those interested, here is how you take the breast plate out of a pigeon:

I wanna see him do a Spurwing like that...

Sweet, now that sounds lekker man!!

thanks for the clip, I really thought that would be more difficult.

User

Thanks Sweeeet.

Is there any freezing before the meat is used?

Uwe