Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rhodesian Army Nominal Roll 1980

For the last eighteen months, I have been trying to lay my hands on a copy of the Rhodesian Army Nominal Roll that was located in Zimbabwe. Without Andrew Souttar’s (Classic Arms) help, I doubt if I would have succeeded.

Success at last! See attached photos. I picked up the Roll this morning.

The Roll is in bad condition (naturally) but is perfectly legible.

I hope that someone can explain to us, though.

It is headed “Rhodesian Army Roll” but is dated September 1980. Therefore, is it our final Roll run at a later date or is it a Roll as at September 1980? I would argue for the former since the units listed in the right hand column are all our old units and I know that Mugabe, after he took over, promptly disbanded the Selous Scouts, the RLI and the RAR.

I think it may include both regulars and territorials since some of the numbers in the left hand column have the suffix “P” and some the suffix “T”. However, there are other suffixes besides those two.

It is organised numerically into sections (Officers, RWS, ES and AS). The numbers in the left hand column cannot be pay numbers as they are all in the six hundred and seven hundred thousand range. My own number was in the 49 000 range and I can only recall numbers in the final years in either the 120 000 range or the 150 000 range.

Perhaps someone from the paymaster offices in the Service Corps can explain it to us?

For the record, it shows the racist, rebel Rhodesian Army as having some 1 300 whites and some 9 000 blacks. So much for the propaganda. This puts the lie to the modern politically correct line that it was a white versus black war.

I have passed the Roll to Jonathan Harvey to digitise since, if it gets lost, a valuable piece of history is gone for ever. If it is digitised, the chances of losing the data are far less.

Default Re: Rhodesian Army Nominal Roll 1980

Hopefully, if I can figure it out, photos will follow

Well done Chas.

Willie Barnard

Chas, a most excellent achievement. My very best congratulations to yourself and Andrew.

I was curious to note that numbers are not sequential and that gaps between numbers are significant. I wonder why?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

What a find! Thanks for that Chas and Andrew!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Well done and congratulations on Your's and Andrew's hard work.
    Keep the Rhodesian memory alive.

Chas,

I am curious. I did some work while in the SANDF in Rhodesia in Jan / Feb / March 1980. I was initially incorporated into RLI at KG6 barracks and then seconded to 5RR. I had Rhodesian Army ID as well as Rhodesian Army Drivers Licence.

I have always wondered if I was officially taken on the roll, could you check for me please? If I was not I wonder how I got a force number?

2Lt. A T Leigh they called us sub alterns if I remember.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Chas, a most excellent achievement. My very best congratulations to yourself and Andrew. I was curious to note that numbers are not sequential and that gaps between numbers are significant. I wonder why?
    I am hoping that someone who knows how the system worked will come forward and tell us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast