Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Rhodesian Army Nominal Roll 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    Chas, would you mind if I forward this picture to my mother? She might have some insight to the number next to her name.
    I have no problem with any of this info being distributed. The further and wider it goes, the less chance of it being lost for ever.

In fact, we are now busy scanning it in as a series of .pdf's and, when that is done, I will put it up at the Molon Labe site for anyone and everyone to download.

The picture has become more completed, though.

I am told by a former Pay Corps type that this printout from the Salary Service Corps and only lists the regulars. I have been offered a chance to scan another Roll (organised by unit) with some PF and some TF personnel.

We also need a Roll of the TF’s. We also need the Roll that lists the SA types like Andrew.

Only then do we have a chance of assembling a final Roll.

Lots of work ahead of us.

User

I'm quite interested to see the full roll, my parents, aunt, uncle and gran should all be in there. If I remember correctly they left about '81. My mom has quite a bit of memorabilia from her army days in storage. She is currently living in the UK but I will try get pics and post them when I can get access to it.

Can I ask a question? Once this Roll is finalised, who will have access to it?

User

Ok, so it isn't my mom, it is my dad's uncle (my grandfathers brother)

723686P - force number
    C SGT (colour sergeant) - rank
    YEATMAN J - name
    HO SBY DIST - head office Sailsbury district

This is what my mom reckons they are, not sure if it's correct but seems viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasproud View Post
    Recognise this guy?
    That’s a blast from the past!

Indeed I do – his name in Marius Maritz and he served in the RLI.

What you have posted here is an airbrush painting by Corrie Maritz that I commissioned for Echoes of an African War which was published in 1999.

There was a Rhodesian Army recruiting poster which featured him as you see him in the painting and with the caption “You need more than beads and long hair to win a war”.

You will remember that we were, in the 1970’s just coming out of the hippie age. Thus the reference to beads and long hair. Thus, also, Marius’ use of the V sign which to us meant “Victory” (remember the photos of Churchill using it?) and which the hippies used as a peace sign.

I laid my hands on a bad photo of the recruitment poster and, since I wanted to use it as the graphic for the poem Africa’s Child, I commissioned an airbrush painting of the old poster.

The poem went:-

AFRICA'S CHILD

It is two hundred eighty years now
    Since Europe shook its fist
    At my ancestor
    And forced him to leave.
    Since then
    Generations of my clan have sunk their roots
    Into the African soil
    And proliferated.
    My tribe woke a continent
    And thrust it into tomorrow.
    My Afrikaans forbears fought their wars
    To buy their land with their blood.
    As I have fought my war.

I belong

This is my land, my home.
    I yearn not
    For that strange, unfamiliar place called Europe.
    I am an African
    A white African.”

I think you will agree that the graphic fits the words.

Marius was a legend in the RLI. There are stories about him.

He was the man who used to pick up new recruits, two at a time, lift them off the ground and growl, “You don’t give me no shit, hey” before banging their heads together and dropping them.

He was the man who led a night patrol round and round the same mealie field three times because none of the troops dared tell him that he was going in circles.

…and he was the man who called in air support during a contact. The choppers arrived and called on the radio for him to mark FLOT – in other words, to mark your forward position with a smoke grenade so that they would not shoot you up. He then proceeded to make history by telling the pilot, “That’s easy, bluejob. We’re directly under the big, white cloud on top of you”.

Unfortunately, he was killed shortly after War’s End in a motorcycle accident.

As I said – a blast from the past.
    Last edited by Chas Lotter; 10-04-2013 at 09:20. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Can I ask a question? Once this Roll is finalised, who will have access to it?

Anybody who wants to take the trouble of downloading it. When we did the first Roll of Honour, we did exactly that. History needs to be preserved and made accessible.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Lotter View Post
    That’s a blast from the past!
    I thought you might get a kick out of that.

Hi Chas, I recently joined the Gunsite Forum, and saw your very interesting message re: the Rhodesian Nominal Roll. Due to travel etc I have lost the record of my Force Number from when I served in 3 Cdo, RLI from 1979 -1980. Could you possibly help with my request?

John Vincent Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by John Mac View Post
    Hi Chas, I recently joined the Gunsite Forum, and saw your very interesting message re: the Rhodesian Nominal Roll. Due to travel etc I have lost the record of my Force Number from when I served in 3 Cdo, RLI from 1979 -1980. Could you possibly help with my request? John Vincent Mackay
    John,

I was just the facilitator in this who arranged to get the Roll out of Zim and off to the Rhodesian Services Organisation in New Zealand.

I will send you a PM (private message) as to how to contact them. I have also emailed Bill Wiggill at the RLI Association in case they can help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3