Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Mmmmmm thinking about a handgun

Morning.

As the thread says, I am thinking about buying a handgun. I will be inheriting a S&W Model 29 6" barrel in .375 but I cannot wait for that to happen and would like something in the interum. Although having fired handguns in the past this has been a couple of rounds through a 9mm Star (you guessed it, Army), my dads .375 and my boets .44 Ruger. I would not consider myself a stranger to handgun shooting but certainly a novice.

I do not want to EDC (at this point), nor do I want to debate the merits thereof other than to say that in time I may graduate to EDC. One never knows where the thing will end up but I am where I am for now. I also have no plans of rolling around in the dirt firing at obtuse angles ..... but again this may change in time (no insult intended) to the combat boys.

I do not want a revolver.

I would like the handgun for home protection and carry if we are going out late (not that you don't get trouble in the middle of the day), again lets us not debate this matter.

I would like to carry on a hunt as a coup de grace weapon or if some piggy gets pissed at me.

Would like my wife to learn how to shoot it and to get licenced.

I do reload and would plan on loading for the calibre I buy.

I like the thought of potentially fitting a lazer sight / light to the handgun at some point without having to modify anything.

The first question (sure there will be lots more) for a first time owner is; Do I want volume of firepower in a 9mm or less volume and go with a 40 cal?

I saw on one of the CZ75 threads that a 9mm was recommended as the first calibre you would own in a hand gun, what would the reasons for this be? Is it about purely about weapon control during recoil and getting the muzzle back on target ASAP?

As of now could we leave the platform out of the debate as that will confuse matters, so no Chevvy vs. Ford debates please. If this has been adequately discussed then could someone point me to the threads please.

Cheers

User

Default Re: Mmmmmm thinking about a handgun

Andrew, a lot has been written about the matter. I have read a lot of it, discarded a bit and chose a 9mm in the end. It's cheaper to shoot and therefore I shoot more (limited budget).

It's also a lot cheaper to reload. Yes, people tell you that there is not much of a difference, but there are no .45 doppies lying around at the range for your reloads.

As for choosing a specific brand ... I went for after sales service and availability of parts, holsters, mags etc. I'm sure there are better pistols around, but they do not suit my needs (carry, hd and SADPA).

If you want, you are welcome to put a few rounds through mine ... at the range where I shoot (Flora), they have quite a few other firearms to try as well.

PS. I saw someone shoot a .40 this weekend. It's a beast ... more so than the .45 ... I don't know if it was just his reloads, but he took an age to get the pistol on target again after every shot.

User

Statistics on shoortings show that all service pistol calibers are essentially "bad" manstoppers. no handgun is a deathray. From that viewpoint then, 9mm makes sense because for similar "stopping power" you carry more rounds, with a more controllable recoil.

I've also "joined" the handgun crowd coming purely from a hunting rifle background. There is a significant mindset change to make, but don't see it as a hurdle.

From my very limited experience and from what you describe, I'd suggest getting a full-size polymer pistol, something like a G17, M&P9, or CZ P07 (yes the latter is "compact" but it carries close to the same load as the previous two). A service-size steel beast like a CZ75 or a Beretta 92 or similar would be a solid piece of feel-good, BUT you may very probably carry it once or twice and decide it's too heavy for comfort.

Just remember: a handgun in the safe when you need it to defend your home is useless. So even though you may decide to not EDC it (yet) it should not sleep with the 30-06 at night.

:- P

User

If you're not going to carry (now, anyway), I don't see why you should settle for anything other than a lekker shooters' pistol. Oldschool steel frame that reduces recoil, with a nice long barrel and good trigger. CZ 75B, for instance. Or a Shadow. Or a classic 1911. Get something you like in the caliber you like. Yes, 9mmP is common and relatively cheap, but if you're not going to shoot hundreds of rounds a month (IDPA or IPSC shooting, for instance) then I don't see why a .40 or .45 wouldn't be awesome either. You don't need a massive mag capacity so just get what you like.

Personally I'd get a new CZ 85B, but that's just me (I carry an 85 every day). And it's damn expensive.

Banned

Andrew,
    2c of advice: Take your wife, go to a range which stocks some different handguns, and you both shoot them; several times if possible. Or go to the local gun club and ask/pay the people to shoot their guns, also take your wife along.

Then, after acquiring some experience, decide on the make, caliber, model, size, lazer sight compatibility etc. If she's going to use your weapon, you should consider something both of you could use.

My line of thought: since you're not into EDC, it shouldn't bother you when you carry. A regular EDC-ist is probably more comfortable with, and used to, a larger handgun. My advice (I'm not a pro!) is rather get something smaller which is easier to carry (Glock 23 etc) than something larger which you might decide to leave at home, especially as you have stated that you won't go into EDC very soon. You are sure to get some very good replies on this site.

Ds J has a point. If you don't carry it everyday, it'll likely bother the hell out of you when do carry it when you go out.

And no, you cannot attempt a round-robin group at 300m when you decide to load for it :)
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

http://www.gunsite.co.za/content/art...efence-pistol/

I suggest getting something of a carryable size. Makes it easier for those time you do carry which we hope become regular. If you buy something huge you will likely never carry it.

9mm is easier to shoot than 40 or 45, it offers more beans and is cheaper to run ergo you can shoot it more. Its the only choice for a first defensive pistol.

Yes Yes Yes!
    So glad to see this oom.

Caliber wise 9mm without a doubt. Its the smallest effective round I advocate. It can do everything the 45 and 40 can do (not talking ballistics, the 9mm ballistically is 100% for SD) with less recoil and more beans. SD ammo manufacturers desighn them to perform the same anyway.
    There is no way all things being equal that you will run a 40 as fast as a 9 and more beans as I have already said. BG's usually come in packs so lotsa beans is good. Shoot CDP and then ESP and you'll quickly see how more beans is an advantage.
    MOLON LABE

Seeing as some of you have hit the platform discussion I was considering a CZ 75 P07 in 9mm.

I see they have a bunch of differing 9mm's which is the one to get (Browning, Luger etc.) Sh!t here starts yet another learning curve.

User

You want 9x19mm also known as 9mm Parabellum 9mm Luger 9mm Nato etc

9mm Browning is 9mm Short, you don't want that.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast