Statistics on shoortings show that all service pistol calibers are essentially "bad" manstoppers. no handgun is a deathray. From that viewpoint then, 9mm makes sense because for similar "stopping power" you carry more rounds, with a more controllable recoil.

I've also "joined" the handgun crowd coming purely from a hunting rifle background. There is a significant mindset change to make, but don't see it as a hurdle.

From my very limited experience and from what you describe, I'd suggest getting a full-size polymer pistol, something like a G17, M&P9, or CZ P07 (yes the latter is "compact" but it carries close to the same load as the previous two). A service-size steel beast like a CZ75 or a Beretta 92 or similar would be a solid piece of feel-good, BUT you may very probably carry it once or twice and decide it's too heavy for comfort.

Just remember: a handgun in the safe when you need it to defend your home is useless. So even though you may decide to not EDC it (yet) it should not sleep with the 30-06 at night.

:- P