Morning.

As the thread says, I am thinking about buying a handgun. I will be inheriting a S&W Model 29 6" barrel in .375 but I cannot wait for that to happen and would like something in the interum. Although having fired handguns in the past this has been a couple of rounds through a 9mm Star (you guessed it, Army), my dads .375 and my boets .44 Ruger. I would not consider myself a stranger to handgun shooting but certainly a novice.

I do not want to EDC (at this point), nor do I want to debate the merits thereof other than to say that in time I may graduate to EDC. One never knows where the thing will end up but I am where I am for now. I also have no plans of rolling around in the dirt firing at obtuse angles ..... but again this may change in time (no insult intended) to the combat boys.

I do not want a revolver.

I would like the handgun for home protection and carry if we are going out late (not that you don't get trouble in the middle of the day), again lets us not debate this matter.

I would like to carry on a hunt as a coup de grace weapon or if some piggy gets pissed at me.

Would like my wife to learn how to shoot it and to get licenced.

I do reload and would plan on loading for the calibre I buy.

I like the thought of potentially fitting a lazer sight / light to the handgun at some point without having to modify anything.

The first question (sure there will be lots more) for a first time owner is; Do I want volume of firepower in a 9mm or less volume and go with a 40 cal?

I saw on one of the CZ75 threads that a 9mm was recommended as the first calibre you would own in a hand gun, what would the reasons for this be? Is it about purely about weapon control during recoil and getting the muzzle back on target ASAP?

As of now could we leave the platform out of the debate as that will confuse matters, so no Chevvy vs. Ford debates please. If this has been adequately discussed then could someone point me to the threads please.

Cheers