Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Training

User

Default Training

Many of us carry knives for sd. Just wondering who has had any form of training.
    I use to train in an mma environment, the "sensei" was one of the guys who did the para's hand to hand training. We did some knifework, but focused mainly on disarming attackers.
    We used to train with those small Valpre waterbottles and I remember thinking in the beginning how glad I was that we were training and not fighting with real knives, I would have died many times if it was real.
    The guys who knew how to use knives were very tough to disarm or dissable. Must say it gives me a lot more confidence when I have my sd knife with me.

User

Default Re: Training

Yip done some.

Often overlooked and very important imo is to get a

1) "system",

2) get a knife/knives that conforms to the system,

3) get a trainer (training knife not person) that is based on the knife you decide to carry because you can train much better and more realistically with a trainer than with a live blade.

4) if you carry a SD knife then dedicate it to SD and carry an extra Ute knife for cutting biltong and whatever else you may need to cut

I do not carry a SD knife because I expect to get into a "knife fight" - I carry it as back-up to my primary weapon/handgun.

In a "knife fight" you will get cut if you go one on one knife against knife and there are tsotsis out there who are good at using a knife, it is even progressively worse when you are alone and they are more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    I do not carry a SD knife because I expect to get into a "knife fight" - I carry it as back-up to my primary weapon/handgun.
    +1

User

I just started Amok! training and have to say it really opens the eyes. In a knife fight looks like you're going to get cut regardless as I got a few nice slashes on the trainer. Love the system.

Banned

How does AMOK! compare to Eskrima (if at all)?

User

Haven't a clue... :-\ I've only been to 3 sessions now so an extreme noob at the mo.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

AMOK! draws heavily from filipino arts so some eskrima may be present
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Wait until you see our new knife fighting DVD, it will be different and will "ruffle" some feathers, it will be plain simple and effective. maybe not as nice as some systems, but will get you out of a sticky situation, the true knife "people" will frown on this, but I guarantee you that it will be very relevant on our local environment and will deal with the problems that we will generally find in the streets, we should be launching this some time towards the end of next month, and adding to this it will be different but will suit the people that don't have all the time in the world to perfect and train their system, but in saying this I will urge you all to get as wide a variety of training as possible(speak to Geoff) and decide what will work for you!

+1 . Have trained in AMOK, Sayoc, Coldsteel system and a couple of military systems. Doesn't matter what you do - if you carry for SD purposes - do some type of training. Don't let your knife(s) become a liability to you.A lot of systems nowadays lend from Phillipino systems and techniques - Escrima incorporates a lot of stick fighting, knife, whip etc.
    Evil prevail when Good Men do nothing.

User

Have anyone ever been in a fight where

1. You had to use a knife.
    2. Some @sshole attacked you with a knife.

We were told by our instructor that the moment someone pulls a knife - RUN. Only when there is absolutely no other option but to fight, fight a guy armed with a knife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast