Default Value of a 308 Musgrave RSA?

Hi there, I am looking at buying friends rifle but not sure what a good price would be to pay. Would be great if you guys can give some feedback on a possible price?
    The rifle is a single shot .308 Musgrave with RSA rifle and a Ramrod 4-12x40 scope. The rifle used to be used for Bisley shooting by his dad and is fitted with a Ferlach barrel. The gun was used for hunting over the last couple of years and the owner had the barrel shortened by about 50mm and made a bit thinner. He also had the stock of the original target shooter worked on so that it is a bit lighter. That is all the info I have at this stage. Any ideas?

User

Default Re: Value of a 308 Musgrave RSA?

i will offer nothing, to the info you give.

thinner barrel i dont like the sound of that.

Banned

The Musgrave RSA actions are very good, and Ferlach barrels also. It now depends on the treatment the rifle received as well as the gunsmith who did the aftermarket work. The proof of the pudding... So take the rifle to a range and put 20 or 30 decent hunting rounds through it. If it groups ok, you could take the chance. Also have a compatent gunsmith look it over. If it has been shot to sh*t, he should be able to tell you. I guess the rifle is worth between R3500 and R8000n depending condition.

Thanks for the feedback. The aftermarket work was done by Sabi Arms (Magnum arms) in Nelspruit. From what I understand the are very good at what they do. I've spoke to the guys there and it sounds is if the gun is still in very good condition. The barrel has been shortened by about 50mm which, from what the guy explained will only bring the speed down to about 200fps.the. He also explained that the thinner barrel will not impact accuracy and will only cause the barrel to get hot a bit quicker.

Banned

In that case, enjoy the rifle! Hope you get to pay a good price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dant View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The aftermarket work was done by Sabi Arms (Magnum arms) in Nelspruit. From what I understand the are very good at what they do. I've spoke to the guys there and it sounds is if the gun is still in very good condition. The barrel has been shortened by about 50mm which, from what the guy explained will only bring the speed down to about 200fps.the. He also explained that the thinner barrel will not impact accuracy and will only cause the barrel to get hot a bit quicker.
    The Musgrave RSA single shot actions that was used for Bisley shooting had 26" barrels. Reducing the barrel length with 2" (50mm) will NOT bring down the velocity by 200fps. You will not lose any velocity at all according to my knowledge.

Tactical 308 sniper rifles only have 20" barrels. Google it for more info ( velocity loss shorter barrel 308 ) and do some research for your self. There is a lot of info regarding this topic.

Shortning the barrels of these rifle's for hunting purposes is a wise thing to do ( many hunters transformed there Bisley 308's by doing just this). You would not want to carry a Bisley rifle with a 26" long heavy barrel around in a hunting scenario (walk and stalk) unless you are build like a Land Cruiser.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely Google for some more info on shorter barrels. What impact would making the barrel a bit thinner have on the rifle? According to the gunsmith it would only cause the barrel to heat up a bit quicker when shot so would will start loosing some accuracy after about 10 shots, until it cools down again.