Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Mozambique - Last rhinos gone

Mozambique - Last rhinos gone

BY TPN/ LUSA, IN GENERAL · 25-04-2013 09:06:00 · 2 COMMENTS
    The directors of Limpopo National Park (PNL) in Mozambique have announced that rhinos are extinct there due to poachers who traffic the animals’ horns to the Chinese and Vietnamese markets, with collusion from park rangers.

Park director António Abacar said this week that no rhinos had been seen since January “which means that the ones that lived in the park are probably dead”.

The last park census in 2011 still found a few animals but their extinction has meant poachers are now turning to elephants which are being shot in greater numbers. “Our greatest problem is that some of our workers are involved in poaching” Abacar told reporters and 30 employees were currently being disciplined.

The park covers an area of 1.1 million hectares.

The park is part of the Cross-border Great Limpopo Park which also covers the South African Kruger Park and the Gonarezhou Park in Zimbabwe.

The ease with which poachers get into PNL, and from there into the other parks, led South Africa to threaten to reinstall fences between the parks.

Since 2008 the South African police and army have killed 279 Mozambicans involved in poaching while another 300 were arrested.

User

Default Re: Mozambique - Last rhinos gone

We are on the same path ..... We urgently need to somehow stop these poachers

User

You know what i think could be handy..... A live satelite image in heat view or whatever they call it.. like one sees in the movies.. Provided it exists and we have access to one :P

User

I think the main worry now is those buggers will be coming and poaching here!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Praetor360 View Post
    I think the main worry now is those buggers will be coming and poaching here!
    They already doing that, it will now just escalate.

User

The ivory trade is too lucrative around the world, I bleed for these creatures, but the reality is its making too many people too much money and until our lovely overlord Chinese masters stop thinking that Ivory makes your peepee harder and therefore your wife happier, I'm afraid we'll all have to go to a zoo to see them in the future.

Doesn't it make you vomit that these creatures, with more right to be on earth than most humans is being wiped off the planet cos of some guys perceived lack of sex drive. There are of course other avenues of use for the ivory but "mooty" is citied as the biggest "consumer" of ivory.

PUKE !!!

User

hi folks i think san parks should allow south african hunters who are willing to join the saps and sandf in the rhino fight. each hunter spends two weeks with them hunting poachers i for one would join them

Banned

Oh wait, so sticking a red 5 inch penis the front of your car’s grill hasn’t stopped the poaching?! Who knew?

Irrespective of what my personal beliefs are regarding this, the situation in itself isn’t unique. The same thing’s happened with the war on drugs and abalone poaching. You can’t block consumers from accessing contraband products. Hell, we’re killing more poachers than we’re arresting and it hasn’t even slowed the poaching down. Whatever our government is doing, it’s not working and a drastic change in strategy needs to take place. Nothing I’m going say next is new:

1.Lift the ban on trade of rhino horn and start selling the stockpiles on the market. As it’s worth more than gold, a lot more people will start raising rhino for commercial purposes and that should also help conservation. Poaching will slow down if the market’s demand is being met and it isn’t financially feasible to do it anymore.
    2.There is no step 2.

This is the same as the canned lion hunting saga a few years back. It might not be sporting, but the hippies seem to rather want to doom a species to extinction than commercializing their farming. If people are so against wild animals being tamed for commercial purposes, then instead of buying pre-packaged beef everyone should be forced to hunt for their meat every night.

User

Lol at the red horn comment dude, actuals lols.

But I'd have to disagree with you, with 1 billion plus chings and growing, I don't ever see the demand being met.

Just my probably wrong pessimistic 2c

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craftworx View Post
    The ivory trade is too lucrative around the world, I bleed for these creatures, but the reality is its making too many people too much money and until our lovely overlord Chinese masters stop thinking that Ivory makes your peepee harder and therefore your wife happier, I'm afraid we'll all have to go to a zoo to see them in the future.
    Wrong animal dude.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast