Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: New firearm cleaning

I cleaned it now and it was pretty dirty.

I watched a YouTube clip on how to clean it, is there anything you can do that will make the gun not fire again? Is there anything you must not clean?

User

You can clean the entire firearm. Just dont use to much oil that may spike your pressures, otherwise you should be good to go.

I tend to use quiet alot of oil because i live at the coast and i have a little phobia about rust, but i wipe down my firearms and pull a dry rag through the barrel before i go to the range.

User

Ok cool, as per the video ut said Glocks dont need too much oil so didnt use too much, also saw the manual said dont put in the channel at the end of the slide, cant remember its name so didnt put anything there.

Was quite cool and relaxing cleaning it though, looks all nice and clean after!

User

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Mk1 View Post
    also saw the manual said dont put in the channel at the end of the slide, cant remember its name so didnt put anything there.
    That's the firing pin channel. It's dry lubricated, so getting oil/cleaning fluid in there will actually have the effect of trapping any dirt and making it nice and sticky.

User

Just stuck to the owners manual for lubing, and you will be GTG.

I do a full strip (as opposed to a field strip after every range session) every 1000 rounds or so to do a thorough cleaning... Probably too much, but I am a little pedantic\OCD

User

Ok so field strip is the normal way, complete strip is everything?

In the manual it doesnt mention cleaning, so just clean everything that you oil? Would that make sense? Can I clean the firing pin as an example?

User

Ok so field strip is the normal way, complete strip is everything?
    Correct.

In the manual it doesnt mention cleaning, so just clean everything that you oil? Would that make sense? Can I clean the firing pin as an example?
    Clean everything. Just make sure that everything is completely dry\free of oil\cleaner etc before lubing, and only lube those area's as indicated in the manual.

As an example. I use cleaner to removed carbon build-up from every metal part, and then wipe completely dry with cotton swab (but try to avoid doing this to the firing pin channel), which includes the barrel after running the brush through a few times. I clean the firing pin channel with a cue-tip (ear-bud) and alcohol (no, not brandy ), since the alcohol will evaporate off. (when a clean cue-tip goes in, and comes out still clean, I know I have done a pukka job in there )

I strip the firing pin assembly, and clean those parts too...

Wipe the plastic bits down with a damp cloth (I don't like using chemicals, since some chemicals can make plastic brittle etc).

As long as everything is 100% dry and free of cleaning solution before lubing, you are GTG.

I even go so far as to strip my mags (they get dumped into sand on the range a lot during IPSC matches), and clean the plastic bits (follower and mag housing) in a basin of water (springs themselves get a wipe-down with a dry cloth). Wait until 100% dry before re-assembling.

Like I said, I am a bit OCD

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    which includes the barrel after running the brush through a few times.
    I tackle the barrel first - running a patch with some nitro solvent through it. Leave it for a few seconds and then run the copper brush though the wet barrel. Run the same patch with solvent through the barrel once more, ensuring the barrel stays wet with nitro solvent on the inside. Then I clean the rest of the gun, lube everything up and before I assemble it I once more run the brush through the barrel a few times, along with a clean nitro-solvent patch to ensure no more gunk comes off. Finally it's a clean, dry patch to remove the nitro solvent and then it's a patch with a few drops of RAM Oil just to lightly oil the inside of the barrel (nothing that remains, just a slight, slight oiling). Assemble and go.

That being said, I have a question - can I, instead of the RAM Oil, use a drop or two of Eezox instead?

Also, I LOVE the smell of RAM Nitro Solvent. Yummy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post

Also, I LOVE the smell of RAM Nitro Solvent. Yummy.
    As do I

I always first use a dry brush on the back area of the slide and breach-face, and inside the barrel to get most of the excess carbon off before using solvent on any of these parts.

Other than that, my barrel cleaning process is very simlar to yours, with the exception of your last step of 'lubing' the inside of the barrel. The Glock's IMO, don't need a lubed barrel, due to their very resilient finish. (apart from the fact of potential problems with excess oil inside the barrel -BOOM!). I run dry swabs through the barrel until they come out 100% dry and clean, and that is how the barrel stays.

Also, I use the 'stock' plastic Glock barrel brush that came with the FA in my barrel. No copper brush in mine (again, due to the nature of the finish of the barrel, IMO a copper brush is not needed. The barrel comes clean with very little effort.)
    Last edited by Psychosis; 30-04-2013 at 08:50.

User

Hehe my pistol is a bit more primitive, I'll admit to that! Oh, and before brushing I also tackle the ramp and surrounding area with a Rescomp toothbrush and cloth to remove the blackened gunk. Unfortunately I still have a full tin MP200 to fire before I can switch to MS200 (apparently a bit cleaner burning). I'm getting tired of my formal shirts getting blackened up when I go shooting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast