Default An Excellent Day's Training!!

An Excellent Day's Training, with Dean Nieuwoudt and GI Combat Supplies:

I have been feeling the need for training, any training for a while now. I was very excited when Game Farmer started the ball rolling to get BigT down to CPT, only to hit rock-bottom when the dates of a hunt that has been in the planning for a while fell onto the weekend for BigT’s training.

I then happened onto the GICS website and took a look at their training schedule. Dean Nieuwoudt does their training, and I had read about some of the training in the Gun Africa mag, so I had an idea that their programmes are nicely put together and well run. I asked around, including a very good friend in Durban, and Dean came up with glowing referrals – everybody said that this guy is the real deal, and a gentleman to boot.

So this Saturday found me getting up early and driving from the Boland to the False Bay Gun Club. FBGC is THE nicest shooting facility in a peri-urban location that I have ever come across.

To cut a long story short: I attended the Intermediate and Low Light training courses. It was definitely worth doing both, as Dean builds on the skills learnt in the first course, with adding complexity going into the Low Light course.

Dean is an excellent trainer: He is very skilled, but modest, open minded, a keen learner (he makes a point of attending other’s courses, and has travelled extensively to attend training). He is also adaptive, bringing out learning points in the good ideas he sees in what the guy’s on the course are doing. He speaks to you – not down to you. He is also very diligent in referencing where he has got his material from – which is something I like.

I learnt a lot on the Intermediate course – which I thought would be a bit basic. I think that it is a challenge that any FA trainer has, as there is always such a range of skills and experience on a particular course. Dean handles it well, adding variation and throwing in some more challenging and fun stuff. As you can expect, safety rules are clear and there are no compromises – that said, we did not have any safety concerns.

GICS made it very clear that the training is not intended as a marketing drive for the stuff that they sell at GICS – and they were at pains (almost to a fault) to make sure that they were not punting kit.

The group was a great bunch of people, with Gucci having us in stitches with his sharp one-liners.

To my good friend in Durban – thanks for the referral – I owe you big time!

Next? I would like to do all the rest: Edged Weapons, Baton, Urban Day and Urban night…but I have a little practicing of the current stuff to do to “cement it in”. Thanks Dean and thanks GICS for making it happen!

User

Default Re: An Excellent Day's Training!!

Sounds lekker!

Thanks for the write-up Sweet.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Default Re: An Excellent Day's Training!!

Sweet,

On behalf of GICS and Dean, thank you for those kind words.

In Dean's own words, feedback like that and knowing that someone has found benefit in the training is very humbling and makes it all the more worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    An Excellent Day's Training, with Dean Nieuwoudt and GI Combat Supplies:

I have been feeling the need for training, any training for a while now. I was very excited when Game Farmer started the ball rolling to get BigT down to CPT, only to hit rock-bottom when the dates of a hunt that has been in the planning for a while fell onto the weekend for BigT’s training.

I then happened onto the GICS website and took a look at their training schedule. Dean Nieuwoudt does their training, and I had read about some of the training in the Gun Africa mag, so I had an idea that their programmes are nicely put together and well run. I asked around, including a very good friend in Durban, and Dean came up with glowing referrals – everybody said that this guy is the real deal, and a gentleman to boot.

So this Saturday found me getting up early and driving from the Boland to the False Bay Gun Club. FBGC is THE nicest shooting facility in a peri-urban location that I have ever come across.

To cut a long story short: I attended the Intermediate and Low Light training courses. It was definitely worth doing both, as Dean builds on the skills learnt in the first course, with adding complexity going into the Low Light course.

Dean is an excellent trainer: He is very skilled, but modest, open minded, a keen learner (he makes a point of attending other’s courses, and has travelled extensively to attend training). He is also adaptive, bringing out learning points in the good ideas he sees in what the guy’s on the course are doing. He speaks to you – not down to you. He is also very diligent in referencing where he has got his material from – which is something I like.

I learnt a lot on the Intermediate course – which I thought would be a bit basic. I think that it is a challenge that any FA trainer has, as there is always such a range of skills and experience on a particular course. Dean handles it well, adding variation and throwing in some more challenging and fun stuff. As you can expect, safety rules are clear and there are no compromises – that said, we did not have any safety concerns.

GICS made it very clear that the training is not intended as a marketing drive for the stuff that they sell at GICS – and they were at pains (almost to a fault) to make sure that they were not punting kit.

The group was a great bunch of people, with Gucci having us in stitches with his sharp one-liners.

To my good friend in Durban – thanks for the referral – I owe you big time!

Next? I would like to do all the rest: Edged Weapons, Baton, Urban Day and Urban night…but I have a little practicing of the current stuff to do to “cement it in”. Thanks Dean and thanks GICS for making it happen!