Default Gun Stocks refurbishing What products to use ?

Hello guys

I am getting and .22 and I want to redo the stock.

I would like top make it darker than it is with a stain and then oil it

any suggestions ?

What products ?

Default Re: Gun Stocks refurbishing What products to use ?

Start at the beginning ;D, What is on the stock now. Varnish perhaps? You need to strip the old coat off completly before starting. In any wood finish the preperation is everything. Look at using an iron and wet cloth to remove any dings. There is alot to discus here let us have more info please.

Thanks Ryan

Yes there is a varnish on at the moment. Its a med dark brown not light at all.

I would like to take it to oil with a dark fnish Almost like chocolate brown if I can call it that dont know the exact names

what ells do you need to know ?

I think the process can be as complicated as you want it to be. Google what you want and choose a method that makes sense to you.

I recon use a good stripper in combination with a toothbrush for in the chequering and corners, apparently white spirit is the best cleaner after stripping the varnish. Its like methys but not purple.

Sand the stock with a sanding block as your fingers will lead to you hollowing out the softer woods and leaving the ridges.
    Remember to put a little lubricant on the screwdriver when you push it through the rubber recoil pad or it will abrade the rubber and leave marks.
    I like the plascon wood stains, I recommend getting the 2 colours that are closest to what you have in your mind and then blending them to the hue that you want. There is a walnut that is a lighter brown than you want but it may darken with oiling. Sapele mahogany will be too red for your application, ebony to dark a stain.

I recon take the stain that you like and thin it with thinners, allot, I mean like 5ml of stain to 200 ml thinners,Then add one layer at a time as it is easy to add layer on layer to get the color you want than to charge right in and make it to dark straight away.

Once it is properly dry and rubbed down with steel wool, then you can begin the oiling process. Google London oil, too tedious for me. Look at the methods and you decide. I personally have no issue with the red furniture oil you buy in a glass bottle from pick and pay, looks good drys properly and is easy to touch up.

Have fun

Thanks Ryan for all the info

regards