Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default My new Howa M1500 .30-06

I had a fitful night's sleep last night, but finally got to go fetch my new baby this morning.

The day dawned gloomy, cold and wet, but (despite my normal morning gruffness) I got up cheerful and headed west. Far west. Camdix in Krugersdorp to be precise.

I happily handed over my invoice to them, and even the salesman seemed to share my excitement, when he said enthusiastically he would go fetch her quickly. I immediately got 3 congratulations from other customers standing around me. Indeed it is a good day.

Chatting to the guy next to me, I could see he was filling in paperwork for a newly bought firearm. I asked him what he was getting. He eagerly said "Howa, .30-06, synthetic stock".

"Ah!" I said proudly. "Good choice. That is exactly what I am collecting". He looked just like the Hulk, just without the muscles. Same colour hue though....

Despite Camdix being so busy, they straight away offered to mount and sight-in my Leupold VX11 3-9 X 40 with LR reticle. Free of charge I might add. I chose a nice comfortable Vanguard sling, and a couple of boxes of rounds. They threw in a free Hornady Camo cap, and before I knew it it was sliding her into my riflebag, and loading into my car.

It took a fair amount of effort to resist driving to the closest range.

Driving home, I reflected quickly on the short conversation I had with the guy who mounted my scope for me. I mentioned that I had bought the rifle last year, when they were selling for R5,600 (they are R6,550 now). I said including my scope (which I think is really good quality), the rifle/scope combo came in under R10k! He remarked that I have a setup that equals many other guys' who paid up to 5 times as much.

Getting home, I got some time to appreciate my new rifle. I must say that though many people say the Hogue synthetic stock has no soul, I am super-chuffed with it. Getting a wooden stock was not much more expensive, and the money was not an issue. I chose to get synthetic, and I am glad. The grip is unbelievable! I hunted a few weeks ago in some light drizzle, and this would have helped enormously. It is really light, and I would imagine carrying it the whole day will be more pleasant than some other rifles I have used.

I am looking forward to zeroing her in at the range soon, and then blooding her later in the season. Here is a quick snap I took just now

User

Default Re: My new Howa M1500 .30-06

Whoops. Not sure why the photo inverted, but you get the idea...

User

Looks very nice and a MAN's caliber not that other girly one :-)
    Camdix is fantastic but my bank balance goes south in minutes when i visit them

Enjoy your new rifle

User

Congratulations! Enjoy.

Congrats. I also have the Howa in 375 cal. Very nice and excellent quality. I just brought myself a Boyds Pepper laminated Thumbsock for the rifle.

Enjoy it and hope you draw blood soon!!

User

Congrats I love mine I know you wil enjoy her and have many great adventures together!

User

Ping Messor. I'm sure he shares your enthusiasm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Congrats!! And the perfect caliber!!

User

Hey, nice and very good rifle as well as the cartridge choice. Happy for you man and good luck hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Ping Messor. I'm sure he shares your enthusiasm!
    Ja, it's(Howa) like buying a Nissan GTR(also Japanese), a technological masterpiece, and then when asked caliber you go.........you know, I have no imagination, what can I get that I can use for everything?

Sorry Miklin, had to, good buy, may she serve you well, try to avoid the 30-0 kwes status and rely on the Howa's superior accuracy, she is not a Bentley, don't be shy to fit a superior suppressor, they add a bit more weight, but not too much so that you cant carry them around all day, it tames the recoil, and prolong deafness as long as possible. Just because it's a Howa I'll approve, good hunting/shooting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast