Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shooting stick.

User

Default Shooting stick.

When I hunt I like to have some sort of rest for my rifle that will assist my stability and ensure a better shot. Trees and anthills are not always reliable or readily available and therefore I decided that this year I will be hunting with a shooting stick.

I looked at some shooting sticks online but I could not justify spending R1000 on them so I made my own R40 shooting stick.

I cut the two legs from pine wood with each leg being 1 meter long and having a cross-sectional area of 2cm x 2cm. The wood was then treated with varnish and left over night to dry and the following day I wrapped the two legs in camo tape (this was done purely for aesthetic purposes).

I then proceeded to drill a 4mm hole 15cm from the top of the two legs where I connected the two legs with a 4mm bolt and nut which acts as a hinge. After this I hit a 6cm nail 4cm deep into the bottom of the legs to act as feet and providing grip for the shooting stick. Two leather strips cut from an old belt was glued to the 'V' (where the rifle will rest) of the stick.

Finally I attached a rope to use as a sling for carrying the stick on my back or over my shoulder.

The stick feels solid and provides for a good front rest. I have not yet had the chance to test the shooting stick but I will do so shortly before I take it on its first hunting trip.

Pictures below.

User

Default Re: Shooting stick.

Brilliant, well done. I would possibly add a rope/string between the legs maybe 1/3 from the bottom. this should prevent the legs opening up, adds to the stability that the nail-feet gives.
    Not that I am the expert as I have not used shootings sticks.

User

Hi there
    when using sticks of this length, presumably for kneeling or sitting try resting your RH elbow on your right knee while kneeling on your left knee and holding the sticks and rifle with your left hand. this is opposite to a conventional kneeling position but is extremely stable.
    no I'm not crazy! try it!

User

Thank you for the input gentlemen.

@The Beast: That is a good idea and I am sure it will add to the overall stability.

@garycim: Yes this stick was made for sitting or kneeling. Haha, I don't think you are crazy, I will definitely try your technique out!

Great idea! I like that you have added a rope for a sling! Will try it.

I personally find it quite difficult shooting from shooting sticks in the standing position. I find that I move to much especially doing 200 - 300 meter shots so now I mostly shoot off a bipod. Before you go hunting, take those sticks and your rifle to the range and make sure you can actually shoot off them.

User

DouwtA,
    Try fixing a leather strap between the tops of the 2 legs. This will give the rifle a cradle to rest on. Resting your rifle on the sticks alone will possibly end up with your shots hitting higher because of the hard medium. Been there, experienced it.

User

@boesman:10: This shooting stick was not made to be used in the standing position but rather the sitting position. I find that I am much more stable when I am sitting. That said, I will not use this shooting stick to shoot 300m.

@THOMAST: Thank you for the input. As mentioned in my original post, I glued two pieces of leather cut from a belt to the 'V' of the shooting stick where the rifle rests. The leather can be thicker than the pieces which I have used though.

Nice rifle

User

Quote Originally Posted by Francoisv View Post
    Nice rifle
    Thanks man!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast