Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 9.5x57MS as hunting rifle

Gentleman, who has any experience with this calibre, I own a .308win for general hunting and started to look for a heavier calibre for my future hunts. I came across a Manlicher chambered in 9.5x57 with 50 Kynoch rounds. Does any one have any experience with this calibre, is it a legal calibre for buffalo or should I look at something else. This rifle is in mint condition at a very good price.

User

Default Re: 9.5x57MS as hunting rifle

Trommel, while I have no personal experience with this calibre (few will) I am willing to say that even if legal on buffalo due to calibre dimensions, I would suggest it is too little gun. I am not studied up in that regard but some African countries may mandate a minimum muzzle energy value for the cartridge besides the pure bullet diameter.

Get this rifle if you want a golden oldie for everybody to gawk at on the range. Use it at short ranges on kudu, eland, BWB. Whatever you do, do not modify the gun - not even to drill and tap for scope mounts. If you decide not to take it, forward me the seller's contact details

User

The 9×57mm Mauser is a cartridge based on the 7.92×57mm Mauser. It uses the identical 57 mm-long cartridge case, with the same shoulder angle, but necked up to accept a 9 mm-diameter bullet.Firing a relatively heavy bullet of approximately 14-16 g (220-250 grains) at a modest velocity of about 670–700 m/s (2,200-2,300 ft/s), the 9×57mm is low in noise and recoil, pleasant to shoot, and regarded as accurate and effective on all but the very largest, most dangerous game at distances out to 250–300 m (300-350 yd).
    The cartridge's low velocity combined with the heavy, poorly streamlined bullet gave the 9×57 a rather poor trajectory, which made it unsuited to lazy shooting at longer ranges. This calibre was popular as a large-deer cartridge in Germany and Central Europe; and also in German spheres of influence in Africa in the early 20th century, such as German West Africa and German East Africa, where it was widely popular among European farmers and settlers for shooting plains game.[2] It also accounted for many lions and leopards. Its popularity was gradually eclipsed by the significantly more powerful, rather flatter-shooting 9.3 x 62 Mauser cartridge. ' Wikipedia' sounds like a really good bushveld calibre. Slow heavy bullet = minimal meat damage. As tetelstaai says do not modify it in any way, could be worth a lot of money. You will have to reload as I don't know of any commercially ammo available.

User

Apologies. Didn't read the post correctly. Gave info for the 9x57 instead of 9.5x57. The 9.5x57 calibre is more rare than the 9x57.

That said & done. Personally I would not use it for a buffalo. I do not believe it will have enough penetration ability to put a dagga boy down unless you have a shot available behind the shoulder.

User

I would check if you can find dies and other reloading components for it before you purchase.

User

for dies try
    http://www.ch4d.com

User

Thanks for the thoughts and info. They really seem to be very rare. The rifle is just such a beuty she is as light as a .22 and i think must be a charm to carry on along walk. Will have to dig deeper. The owner says he use to grow up next to Kruger and it was his first big bore for the cats worrying the cattle. Mmmmmm!!!!!

Will be fine for cats, but not a cantankerous old dagga boy. If she is a beuty then get her, good old guns like this are worth getting and keeping in circulation. I am sure you will be able to have cases n heads made for it. The die set will cost you a good few k.

User

Components will be easy, use .375 bullets and neck up 7x57 or 8x57 cases. Will be awesome in the bush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast