Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 9.5x57MS as hunting rifle

Also known as 375 Nitro Express. Cases can also be formed from 30-06 brass. If I come accross one like you have, I'll take it without a moments hesitation.

I have one, the Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1910 take down model, as you metioned sleek and light.
    The old elephant hunter (poacher) Bvekenya Barnard (no relation) used an identical rifle in this calibre to shoot hundreds of elephant, buffalo and the occasional black rhino with.
    Read about that in "The Ivory trail" by TV Bulpin.

That said, I think it is a bit underpowered for thick skinned game.
    It launches a 270 gr bullet at a claimed 2100 ft/s.
    On the chamber of my rifle is engraved : "regulated for cordite ** gr ". I forgot the load and did not have time to check.

I blow out 8 x 57 cases and load it with s335 behind 270 gr Hornady bullets .
    A set of RCBS dies was quite easy to obtain.

It would be an ideal slow close range rifle. The reason I dont hunt with mine, is that my vision now demand the use of a scope, and there is no way I am going to drill and tap this piece of history.

Willie Barnard

I don't want to sound like an idiot but my grandfather shot elephants with exactly the same rifle in Tanzania. And not one but a few. The cases can be modified from a 30-06. But I'm no expert in this matter. I'm getting the riffle in the near future so any advice would be helpful.

Just bear in mind that if you decide to go hunting dangerous game you must have a gun that can stop an angry animal intent on killing you. Go for a hunt in the zambesi valley and you will more than likely be faced with an animal wounded by someone else and it will charge you. That is when penetration matters not when you can stalk up to an animal and place the shot where you want it. There are countless elephant that have been shot by .308 in culling operations too and by the lowly 7x57 in die oue dae. Nothing wrong with the 9.5 x 57 beautiful gun but it was not designed for thick skinned dangerous game - it will work but not the ideal calibre.

User

As a hunter AND collector I'm with PeterMcc and kaspaas on this one. They are truly beautiful rifles so buy it and enjoy it in the bushveld or keep it for it's own sake. If you absolutely have to have a scope for hunting, try and find one of the original mounts that caters for it's split rear receiver ring.

I have a 9.5x57. Otto at OPM loads for me. Using PMP 375 softnose 300 grain bullets, and fire formed 30-06 cases, Otto got an excellent grouping at 2150 fps. In the bushveld, up to 150 m the rifle is wonderful on kudu, blue wildebeest and eland. It drills a wide hole, and penetrates well, with little meat damage. It would work on a buffalo shot side on through the lungs from behind the shoulder, or angled from there towards the heart. The PMP 286 grain brass solids, loaded to 2200fps would give a lot of penetration to the brain heart, and spine. I have shot quartering shots on eland and blue wildebeest, and destroyed the heart. Most of the legendary big calibers shoot a heavy bullet at 2150fps.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2