Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Affordable .300 H&H

I've often thought about doing this but never got around to it.

Buy a second hand Ruger No 1B in .30-'06, have it rechambered to .300 H&H.
    You'll need to get the extractor altered but apart from that I do not think any major work is needed.

You end up with a classy rifle with a 26" barrel that has the same overall length as a 22" barreled bolt action.

I love Ruger No 1's.

Default Re: Affordable .300 H&H

We went to the range this past sunday. A friend brought his ruger no1 in 300 h&h along. Beautiful rifle & lovely to shoot. Left me sleepless wondering how i can convince the wife i need one.

User

Mr Stone, I have a phd, in 300H&H. If you need any info phone me. Your refrence to Ruger no 1 is very valid indeed

james wilson

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I've often thought about doing this but never got around to it.

Buy a second hand Ruger No 1B in .30-'06, have it rechambered to .300 H&H.
    You'll need to get the extractor altered but apart from that I do not think any major work is needed.

You end up with a classy rifle with a 26" barrel that has the same overall length as a 22" barreled bolt action.

I love Ruger No 1's.
    I had the same dream, only starting with a single shot RSA action bisley rifle in 7,62 x 51.
    Ream the chamber to 300 H&H, open up the bolt head. Drill and tap for scope mounts.
    You end up with the perfect "voorsitgeweer". Would also be usefull for ProAmm grouping shoots.

Then I was told : "wont work the twist of the 7,62 x 51 is all wrong for the longer 200 gr bullets that work so well in 300 H&H."

Obviously, if you also had to rebarrel (in the correct twist)this dream rifle, the costs would jump considerably.

What are the opinions of those in the know?

Willie barnard

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Barnard View Post
    I had the same dream, only starting with a single shot RSA action bisley rifle in 7,62 x 51.
    Ream the chamber to 300 H&H, open up the bolt head. Drill and tap for scope mounts.
    You end up with the perfect "voorsitgeweer". Would also be usefull for ProAmm grouping shoots.

Then I was told : "wont work the twist of the 7,62 x 51 is all wrong for the longer 200 gr bullets that work so well in 300 H&H."

Obviously, if you also had to rebarrel (in the correct twist)this dream rifle, the costs would jump considerably.

What are the opinions of those in the know?

Willie barnard
    I think the twist of those target rifles are 1 in 14", best for 150 - 155gr bullets. 1 in 10" is good for the .300 magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    Mr Stone, I have a phd, in 300H&H. If you need any info phone me. Your refrence to Ruger no 1 is very valid indeed

james wilson
    At last, someone with a phd in something really interesting! If I get hold of that No 1 I'm putting you on speed dial. Only problem is that I need to drive 4km to get cellphone reception.

User

Yes the, the 300h should be 1:10. The wm is usualy 1 12. However I have seen H&H, in 1: 12 with great results. If you were to get a RSA with a 1:12, go fot it and use monolithic 150 grn. I have even tested 130 grn Impalas with a grouping of 15 mm, velocity was 3333 fs

User

Ruger made a limited run of these rifles in 300H&H a while ago to commemorate something/someone, might have been Boddington.
    Lovely rifle, strong action. I had some vertical stringing issues with my 7mmRM (was very particular as to where and on what you rested the fore-end on), sorted that out by bedding the fore-end on the mainspring tang. Now it shoots cloverleaves all day long.
    On its second barrel already.

User

I recently bought a Sako in 300H&H although i already have a CZ in 30-06. The price was more than right and after checking out few threads on this classic caliber i didn't think it would hurt to add to my collection.

Having only had the chance to fire 3 shots whilst i wait for the permit, does anyone have an opinion on the Sako make as i am not familiar with it. It does look lovely and has the Mauser action which helped.

Also what about my 30.06 - have i replaced it or does it still have a place in my battery?

User

Sako rifles are top end European rifles. Www.sako.fi .

The older Sako rifles were known for their kick as they were light and the Monte Carlo style stocks weren't helping either.

What model is the rifle? Post pics in the Show me your Sako thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast