Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Question S&W AR15 -22lr - All I need to know

I hope my post is in the correct area? didn't think reviews section was suitable as I am not able to review it at this point.

Ok, I suppose I run the risk being crucified by announcing that I am one on the lucky few who have managed to get my hands on a little S&W Ar15-22lr despite the 8 - 12 month waiting list. (It was purchased by someone but never licensed and is still brand new and in the dealer's safe)

I purchased it for the same reason most people buy it and that is because it works like an AR and serve a cheap trainer and drill-runner. and the added benefit of being able to shoot steel challenge with it :)

I am very close to obtaining DSS so it will take a month of so before I can start with the licensing of it. So I looking to find out as much as I can around the do's and dont's of the s&w ar15-22lr.

For example:
    What optics you you recommend? (looking for red-dot, holo, relfex type sights)
    I know each gun is different but where is a good staring point in terms of ammo to use? reliable, accurate etc.
    I am also not one to pass by any opportunities to pimp out my firearms, so what mods or improvemennts would you recomend. I am looking at silencing it, flash hiders, trigger upgrades, grip upgrades etc etc etc.

But I also need to know key things that I need to be aware of like the dont's, bit tricky because you don't know what you don't know until you know it. so really any help will be greatly appreciated.

So apart from the usual comments "You chould have bought the Ruger or colt or whatever", i would realy appreciate any advice I can get.

thanks

User

Default Re: S&W AR15 -22lr - All I need to know

Search "M&P 15-22" on this forum and you'll find tonnes.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

I think you should sell it to me. Offer 9k cash!

Then buy yourself a real AR, there are some DD available here on this forum!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post
    I think you should sell it to me. Offer 9k cash!

Then buy yourself a real AR, there are some DD available here on this forum!
    hehehehe, lets see if this angle works

User

hahahaha not a chance... I paid a premium price as it is ;-) no way I was letting that chance go by!

User

nobody lets their 15-22's go. and people always try different angles in convincing them :P

User

hehehe yup!!! I suppose I can forget about getting replies on my question?:-)

User

any el-cheapo optic would suffice... there's no recoil.
    as for a scope.. i have an ncstar 4x markIII. shoots clay pigeons at 100m, but forget about maintaining zero if you remove/reseat it.

User

Calling it an AR15-22 and not M&P15-22 shows that you do not deserve such a firearm. Return it immediately and PM me where that is, hehe.

User

This reply will probably get some flak, but a .22 isn't as punishing on optics and gear as a center fire round is.

I use an Airsoft replica Aimpoint on my 15-22 (Currently it has a real Aimpoint H-1 on it, but that is moving over to the Saiga). There is an "acceptable" cheap Aimpoint style sight, the Bushnell TRS-25. This is a great little piece of gear that is about all you'll need for a 15-22. It retails at around R1950, roughly. Hailstorm have some IIRC. I also have an NC Star open style holo sight which works. It isn't a nice tube like an Aimpoint, but it does the job and holds up to the "recoil". As I said I use a knock off Aimpoint and have had no issues with it. Your millage may vary.

As for ammo, buy bulk. They work really well with High Velocity Hollow Points. The brand I'm using is Highland, because they are the cheapest, and they run really well. I've personally found Geco standard velocity to be hit or miss. Mostly hit, but some failures to fire/extract. My rifles absolutely loves Remington Sub Sonic, even though the paperwork says stay away from sub sonics. Pretty much all brands will be as accurate as a polymer framed non free float barrel gun can be. This isn't the right gun for shooting sub MOA groups. Expect 2-3MOA with most ammo.

Tac-Shac had Winchester 22 lr 36 gr 555 Hollow point Copper Plated @ R 342 per box of 555, which is pretty darn good.

Trigger upgrades are easy. The 15-22 takes any standard AR-15 drop in trigger group. If you get the Timney (Spelling?) trigger which uses set screws to locate the trigger, they can break the polymer frame and metal inserts are needed (Or use aftermarket 15-22 specific anti walk trigger pins), other wise anything like a Jard or CNC or Geissele trigger will work. Do you really want to spend that on a 15-22 though? Remember it is a 2-3 MOA rifle. The "15 minute AR-15 trigger job" works on the 15-22's trigger as well. I have not done it yet, but others have.

As for add ons, this is also where the 15-22 shines. It will take anything that a standard AR-15 will, which the other AR-15 clones can't do. Replacing the pistol grip is one screw, and maybe a little drilling on the top of a grip as the 15-22 has two spring detents which retain the safety and the rear take down pin, which standard AR-15's don't have. I have used the standard AR-15 grip, a H&K416 grip and a CAA 16 grip. You can use Airsoft parts for this as well. The H&K grip was one. If you do, you must buy a GAS BLOW BACK or GBB rifle grip. The mechanical ones are too wide.

The stock can be replaced with any Mil-spec stock that uses a standard AR-15 Carbine stock (so parts like the Magpul UBR or the ACE stock will not work as they use either propriety receiver extentions/ buffer tubes or they use rifle ones. Again, others will argue, but you can use Airsoft parts here as well. The recoil from the 15-22 will not damage the stock. They won't survive 5.56mm, but .22? Not an issue. I have used the original stock, a Magpul MOE (PTS) stock and a no name brand CRANE/SOCOM style stock.

The rail system can be replaced, with some work, by buying an adapter from the USA,Tacticool.22 Converter which converts the 15-22's specific thread to the generic AR-15 thread. I have not done this, but this means you can use any free float rail system on the planet. Again, and others will laugh, you can use Airsoft rails. They don't require ITAR -which many rail and stock systems do, they are well made and Airsoft rifles will get abused more than your 15-22 will! And to prevent them being used on "real steel" many lack the gas tube cut out. The 15-22 does not have a gas tube, so this isn't an issue.

Flash hiders and suppressors are easy if you have a threaded barrel. If you want to remove the flash hider you need to CLAMP THE BARREL NOT THE FRAME This is important. The barrel is only held onto the polymer frame by a piece of plastic that will break if you apply torque to the frame. If you hold the barrel in a clamp the torque will not transfer to the frame. The barrel is threaded for 1/2x28tpi. That's 28 turns per inch IIRC, which is an imperial measurement and one not often used here. It is however the "standard" AR-15 threading, so any muzzle device will work on an AR-15 will work on this. Most suppressors in South Africa are threaded 1/2x20, which isn't compatible, but there are some local manufacturers which can make suppressors in that thread.

IF you clean one with a bore snake you need to be careful of the extractor, and it can get caught and damaged very easily.

Don't let anyone talk you into the other brands, the 15-22 is the closest .22 to a real AR-15 you can get at the moment.

Original, out the box.

Crane Stock, H&K 416 grip, Magpul AFG1, Aimpoint H-1 in LaRue mount, Streamlight in Viking Tactics mount, Gopro mount, Magpul sights.

Same deal, but with the Gopro mounted on the side rail, original A2 style pistol grip.

Magpul MOE PTS stock, A2 style pistol grip, original iron sights, Airsoft replica Aimpoint in Airsof La Rue mount, cut off Magpul PTS MOE grip. (Ignore the "suppressor" is it an Airsoft replica that was put on the for picture)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast