Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First hunt info

User

Default Re: Firts hunt info

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    And make sure you know how to hit the animal when he's not standing dead square with you. Remember you're shooting at a target inside the animal, not on the skin. Shooting where Messor's image shows is perfect for when he's standing like that. When he's standing with his head away from you you'll aim more and more back so that you can continue hitting that same spot in the middle of the animal. This is very, very crucial to remember. I had a kid tell me he shot his Blesbuck "presies op die blad" a few years ago, but he forgot to mention he stood almost completely facing him. Shot off a couple of ribs and hit the stomach, exiting just before the buttocks. Luckily it was a fenced farm, and the animal was taken down with a proper shot a few minutes later.

Also, relax. Its hard, but try to. And when you're done, just for shits and giggles, see if you can remember the noise from the shot. I've shot a few animals to date. I can't remember the noise from a single shot on one of them.

EDIT: Oh, and if I were you, I'd shoot a cow first. Softer meat, usually.
    Nice reply and sure i will do just that. Yea i know most of the other people going will be waiting at the feed and water spots. I want to work for it. Want to walk and search for my Kudu and then when it comes, then i will take ma shot

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Wynand, as things are in the world today, the economic environment especially in SA, many people without food, I'd consider myself damm lucky if my first antelope hunt was kudu, so I see very little difference between a bull and a cow, I'd see only a privilege, and success regardless of what you run into.
    True and thanks. I will take what I get!. Great point Sir!

User

Toxxyc has good advice here. Remember that you are shooting at a point INSIDE the animal. The paper targets are good but can condition you to shoot to a specific point on the animal's skin.

As a first time hunter, shoot a cow. Generally easier to get and possibly better meat. Not that a YOUNG bull's meat is bad either.

User

Ideal , practicing your shot placement would have worked , and asking sooner for assistance on GS
    Never the less – those are good prises to pay, where will you be hunting?

User

It is about the hunt. Shoot whatever the Good Lord puts in front of you first! The meat all tastes good. Those who say they only shoot bulls are full of bull and are more worried about their egos than anything else. They are too scared to tell their mates they shot a Kudu cow - in case they get ripped off. The best eating Kudu I ever shot was a very young adult cow (if that makes sense). She weighed about 75 Kilos and the meat was seriously tender and tasty. The money is not important - it is all about the chance to hunt! All the very best!

Relax and enjoy the whole experience. Concentrate on the hunt and shot placement but don't let that be the only focus of your stay. Enjoy everything around you and open your eyes to all the other things in nature we tend to overlook. Good luck.

Shot placement is most important. What you loaded to hunt with is just as important. Quality bullets will bring your animal down with good shot place,ent!

Enjoy the hunt.

User

We hunted on a farm in Marble hall. What a great experience it was. I did not get anything. Saw a lot but only trophy's and the cows still had their calf's with them so we decided not to shoot them. My uncle got his warthog and I got stormed by one!
    I was always the bush-veld type so i really enjoyed the walking and tracking and fire at night and all the stories. It really tops everything in this world.

If anyone want to go hunt kudu and don't have a place yet then this place is really awesome.
    Prices are:
    Cows R3000
    Young bull R2500 (horn like those of impala)
    Bull R 3500 (horns up to 50 Inches)
    Bull R 5000 (horns from 54 to 58 Inches)
    Then Trophy Bull R10 000.(there are a lot of them and Huge one to.

User

Wynand, please send me their details (sommer on WhatsApp).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wynanddl View Post
    We hunted on a farm in Marble hall. What a great experience it was. I did not get anything. Saw a lot but only trophy's and the cows still had their calf's with them so we decided not to shoot them. My uncle got his warthog and I got stormed by one!
    I was always the bush-veld type so i really enjoyed the walking and tracking and fire at night and all the stories. It really tops everything in this world.

If anyone want to go hunt kudu and don't have a place yet then this place is really awesome.
    Prices are:
    Cows R3000
    Young bull R2500 (horn like those of impala)
    Bull R 3500 (horns up to 50 Inches)
    Bull R 5000 (horns from 54 to 58 Inches)
    Then Trophy Bull R10 000.(there are a lot of them and Huge one to.
    So n bek moet je^m kry! That's what it's all about. Congratulations on great huntsmanship! To hunt kudu on foot is a precious experience. One tip: next time you go on a hunt for kudu, convince yourself you are actually looking for a warthog, impala etc. Worked for me when I was hunting Impala.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast