Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 357 Magnum Carry Ammo Please Help

Hi all sorry if this has been discussed but please help I carry a ruger police service six 3inch barel and not sure what SD ammo to carry. I bought some Magtech JHP which did good on the YouTube review but I just want to make sure with my fellow country men rather

User

Default Re: 357 Magnum Carry Ammo Please Help

I got 125gr Hornady xtp's from City Guns. Have not used magtech but am pretty happy with the velocity out of my speed six, they don't kick too badly either and are penty more accurate that I am.....

Hi Pierre The nice thing about a wheel gun (revolver), is you are not limited to ammo that "feeds" and "cycles" your firearm well. I like the Magtech, I also like the Hornady Critical Defence. I have been advised to use 158grn bullets, as my S&W Mod19 apparently does not stand up well to a steady diet of fast, light stuff. But I really think that in 357Mag, go with whatever blows your hair back - the cartridge (as designed) has got plenty of energy, and all you are concerned about is the terminal ballistics of the projectile, not all the other stuff that the semi-auto guys have to worry about. [caveat: I usually carry a 9mmP, just because of its larger payload]

Banned

I used to carry Hornady Frontiers in a Taurus 2", but when I tested them (wetpacks on 2, 5 and 40m) they did not open up. Everyone blamed a lack of speed in the snubby, so I went back to PMP 158gr SJHP until I found some 125gr SJHP's. According to the FBI, 125gr work the best - they hit hard and do not overpenetrate.

You serious (as in N frame or other heavy magnums or maybe occasional use in K frame size guns) .357 guys should really try and get NicYale / Paul / Hailstorm etc. to try and get some Winchester Silvertips (145grJHP) excellent results with good penetration. (of course, here in the states we are still battling to get the better ammo too) Won't be cheap, especially at 50rd per box, but it is a great load and the recoil is reasonable IMO.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre6925 View Post
    Hi all sorry if this has been discussed but please help I carry a ruger police service six 3inch barel and not sure what SD ammo to carry. I bought some Magtech JHP which did good on the YouTube review but I just want to make sure with my fellow country men rather
    Based on perceived recoil, the Magtech stuff seems to me to have the hottest load of any factory stuff I have shot - by a fair margin at that.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

There are some Golden Sabers around, my choice in .357 Magnum as they are not full power loads but somewhere between 38 +P+ and .357 Magnum in power.
    Performance of the Saber bullet is first rate and if I was forced to carry a .357 I would load it with these.

I have a Model 19 2.5 incher and the Sabers are almost customer loaded for revolvers like this.

Thanks all got some great ideas

I just bought 250rd of the 125gr Gold Saber JHP mid range JHP loads...they will work just fine for me I think since all my Silvertips burned up in a &^%$# fire and I can't locate any more yet!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I shot a warthog with my Ruger GP 100 a few months ago. The bullet was a PMP 158gr JHP (handloaded) It went right through. I do not think it expanded at all. So this is NOT the bullet you will be looking at for carry ammo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast