User

Default Synthetic Stocks

Howzit
    I have been looking at purchasing a new rifle. The budget is tight so I have been looking at sub R10k rifles.

I seem to have made up my mind on the Howa as I like the feel of the soft rubberised stock as opposed to the more rigid hard synthetic stocks of the Savage, CZ and the Marlin.

My question is... does the rubberised Hogue stock remain in that condition (in terms of feel and look) or does it become smooth and sticky over time ?

Then as a part 2 of the question, Of the standard issue synthetic stocks, is there any stock which one should avoid?

Your feedback and comments are appreciated.

User

Default Re: Synthetic Stocks

nothing wrong with the howa stock i have one my self.

The Hogue stocks have a fair bit of frontal stock flex, which is exaggerated if you fit a bipod to it. This CAN affect accuracy if the fore end touches the barrel(not saying it will). One of my Howa's is fitted with a Harris bipod and fortunately it doesn't seem to affect accuracy.

User

Interesting. ..I would most likely put on a bi-pod.
    But the frontal flex thing has me thinking/worried. With an addition of a suppressor later on, would the combination of bi-pod and suppressor not exaggerate the flex / inaccuracy.

User

I fitted a Hogue black rubber overmould stock to my Ruger 77MK2. This is the one rifle that I let my friends and clients use when I take them with me on hunting trips. I am very pleased with this stock in terms of the way it feels and it does not nick and scratch like the wooden stock (the reason I changed it in the first place ). It also has a broader "bottom end' which I like as it provides a better grip when taking freehand shots. The grip has a nice soft recoil pad which has certainly reduced felt recoil on my rifle. I like the fact that it is also impervious to water and gun oil/cleaning agents. I would fit this stock to any of my other rifles whose stocks may be in need of replacement.

User

PS I have not had any accuracy issues with this rifle since changing the stock. It was a straight drop in requiring loosening the three screws off the original stock, dropping in the action and barrel and re-tightening the three screws.

Banned

the .243 I recently worked on had horrible problem's till glassed it inside as a floating barrel but rigid stock rifle. The same with a 30 06 I ended up bracing the for end with epoxy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CW1 View Post
    Interesting. ..I would most likely put on a bi-pod.
    But the frontal flex thing has me thinking/worried. With an addition of a suppressor later on, would the combination of bi-pod and suppressor not exaggerate the flex / inaccuracy.
    You can stabilize the foreend of the stock by filling it with a stabilizing compound or light weight epoxy. Thats standard practice here in New Zealand where synthetic stocks dominate the market (due to wood getting ruined by the rain)

User

User

I'd suggest that you go into the shop and try to twist the stock a bit ... If it moves it's going to affect your accuracy ... Especially off a bipod ... But as I said it can easily be fixed ... This is what we use here ... You could probably order from SA or find something similar there.

just remember that you will have to key the stock to make sure that the epoxy grips into the plastic. It's not hard to do ... Check it out ...

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop...lizer+Kit.html