Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Camo clothing - worth it?

Is it worthwhile getting a camo jacket for hunting? I won't wear it anywhere else, so it has to help my hunting for me to buy it.

Does the camo give you a distinct advantage over a brown/earthy colour jacket?

Default Re: Camo clothing - worth it?

Hi JT. I have come around to the camo idea (I used to hunt in jeans and a khaki overall jacket). It definitely does work, and if you think that your future might ever hold any handgun hunting/bow hunting, it is worth the investment. I bought Ridgeline buffalo-what-what (cant remember the exact pattern) - I have hunted in it for two seasons and found it to be very effective.

User

I hunt in jeans and a dark blue sweater top. Works for me.

If it is warm, khaki shorts and shirt.

Khaki clothes are just as effective, camo is useful, but learning how to move in the bush is more effective than both. You will be amazed if you sit still in the bush when people are moving toward you who think they are being quiet and stealthy, how much noise they make.

User

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    I hunt in jeans and a dark blue sweater top. Works for me.

If it is warm, khaki shorts and shirt.
    Me too, when warmer, the Mrs have cut old jeans,s legs shorter to a "short size jean" that I use when hunting. After walking a few KM,s I get warm so that works fine for me
    Shoes on the other hand.... Hi teck boots

Must say I got a new army issue camo "bosbaaitjie" this year that I will try out - recon I will have to use it as I will hunt right next to the Orangeriver

Banned

Camo's work because they blend with the surroundings, but they do not break the outlines of human clothing and movement.therefore: what about hunting in a light gilly suit? After sound, I understood that movement/body outlines gives mankind away most. My brother used his gilly and simply walked up to some small antilope (impala, springbuck) near a water hole at a slow pace. They did not even blink. Other brother and I got within 60 yards off some eland over freshly burnt veld. I walked bent-over behind him with my head on his belt and my hands on his hips. They were skittish, but did not run off.

User

Where can I get a guillysuit? Mmmmm
    It'll be cool to have.

User

Of course it's worth it.

People forgot that animals look for movement, and they forgot how to stalk so every bit helps.
    People forgot that you can actually stalk down wind, so they use scent control.
    People forgot that everybody hunted moons past without them, so we have to be "hip" now.
    People forgot how to hunt, luckily with camo's you'll still look the part.(especially on a bakkie)
    People(especially in America) wears full camo with a bright red warning jacket, genius.

User

I really don't understand that camo with bright day glow red or orange business. some one said that the deer don't see the orange, still it's a big flat object moving about.

I like to rather wear my khaki brown clothes, and maybe stick some leaves in the pockets and hat

User

Quote Originally Posted by JouDoring View Post
    I really don't understand that camo with bright day glow red or orange business.
    It's so that other "hunters" don't shoot you, and it illustrates the point of camo to this thread beautifully.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast