Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Camo clothing - worth it?

I have agonised on this one for some time know.

Humans have colour vision so colour is a major factor for us, perhaps my illustration was a little unfair. Animals on the other hand are rather more sensitive to movement, smell etc etc. so in my book they are a lot more "awake" than what we are so perhaps one needs every advantage. The point is simply that we adapt our appearance in the hope of gaining an advantage over the other party. Most of us are fairly far removed from bush living where our bushcraft is required to feed ourselves so methinks camo could be a worthwhile advantage.

I believe camo was always intended to break the humans natural outline so we do not appear as a "human". This is evident when driving in a game farm where Impala will be happy to see a car, get out of the car and they recognize the human shape and they bolt. So I think that we are trying to blend into our surrounding to show as little of our shape as possible.

I have no doubt that camo for many is a fashion statement, for others I believe it to be essential. If you are out of the "personal space" of the animal to be hunted camo would make probably no difference as they are happy at that "safe" distance no matter what you wear.

From a cost point of view, I was doing some preliminary pricing for my grandbuddies and it will be about as cheap to buy them each a camo outfit as it will be to buy them jeans, a shirt with a fleecy. So what the heck, they want camo so I see no reason not to buy them camo at that price. For me still not to sure, never been a slave to fashion but the one thing I do know is that it certainly cannot be worse than jeans and a shirt.

Super old thread so apologies but thought I would add a point. I recently read the Sheltering Desert and they commented on at least one (Didn't count exact times) how close (less than 10m) animals would pass them by if they sat dead, dead still but if they had the wind against them animals would spook, become nervous at much larger distances.

So Andrew says the camo clothing is probably more for us with weaker bush skills but I definitely feel less visible than my stone coloured chinos when in the bush...

I am partial to the Sniper nothing line, served me well on last 3 hunts. Smell and movement will give u away long before animal sees you. More for shooter piece of mind I reckon.

Parktown Stores in Pretoria is running good specials on Sniper clothing late November. Refer November issue of S.A. Hunter for ad.

Camo is essential. You don't look like a hunter to other hunters unless you wear camo.

Banned

I have yet to see a farm worker / tracker / field guide who really needs camouflaged clothing. A faded blue or green jacket, too large shoes and a fringed pair of trousers does the job.

And hat off: these folks have outwalked, outstalked and outsupersilenced me on more than one occasion.

Worst of all is a camouflaged bakkie hunter.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Camo is essential. You don't look like a hunter to other hunters unless you wear camo.
    Bwahahaha
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Camo..i can take or leave.

'Bout 20 years ago i read an article on the subject where a whole lot of semi scientific tests were done involving deer and a variety of clothing colours and materials. It was determined that natural fabrics were far less visable than synthetic fabrics,in the same colour range.

This was attributed to the synthetic fabrics having a sheen to them which was detectable to the deer.

The interesting point was that even natural fabrics developed this sheen if they were ironed.The sheen on synthetic fabrics or the sheen caused by ironing on natural fabrics,even camo,was more visable to the deer than different colours.Certain washing powders also caused a sheen to be present but to a lesser extent.

This made an impression on me at the time and my hunting clobber never gets ironed.

How important this is i don't know,but it is just something i do.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    he interesting point was that even natural fabrics developed this sheen if they were ironed.The sheen on synthetic fabrics or the sheen caused by ironing on natural fabrics,even camo,was more visable to the deer than different colours. Certain washing powders also caused a sheen to be present but to a lesser extent.
    I've noticed this on a pair of pants I use for hunting. They've faded and have the sheen so time to retire them...

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have yet to see a farm worker / tracker / field guide who really needs camouflaged clothing. A faded blue or green jacket, too large shoes and a fringed pair of trousers does the job.

And hat off: these folks have outwalked, outstalked and outsupersilenced me on more than one occasion.

Worst of all is a camouflaged bakkie hunter.
    I had the pleasure of hunting with a chap in early September who was simply phenomenal in the bush! Quiet beyond quiet and eyes that left me gobsmacked. Coupled with good knowledge of the area and animal knowledge.

It was simply awesome being able to hunt with him...

User

The interesting point was that even natural fabrics developed this sheen if they were ironed.The sheen on synthetic fabrics or the sheen caused by ironing on natural fabrics,even camo,was more visable to the deer than different colours

Shape, Shine, Smell, Shadow, Silhouette and Movement are the main factors that will make animals (or humans) aware of your presence. Taking that into account it makes perfect sense that ironed clothing will make you more visible. Thank you Pre 64, never thought of it that way before

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast