User

Default Leupold VX I LR Duplex reticle

I shoot a .270 WIN and load my own ammo. I have the Leupold VX I with LR Duplex reticle (3-9 x 40) mounted and must say I have been very impressed with this scope and reticle. Not too much ink on your picture, and those holdover points are accurate!

I've zeroed my rifle on 200m and the first dot is EXACTLY right for targets @ 300m. I don't know whether Leupold did an amazing job with the reticle or if I'm just lucky with my load combination, but it works so well!

Moral of the story: I'm glad I spent a little bit more than I wanted to and got the Leupold. Would recommend it to other 1st time buyers.

User

Default Re: Leupold VX I LR Duplex reticle

Yip ... They sure are good scopes ...

I'm currently looking at putting a VX6 1-6 on my 375 H&H ...

User

Excellent choice !

I have the exact one on my .30-06 and will definitely put one one the .222 when I get the license !

I want to get a Leupold scope for my .308 but I am still deciding on whether I should get the VX-1 3-9X50 MATTE DUPLEX (113882) or the VX-1 4-12X40 (56650) MATTE DUPLEX or the VX2 4-12X50 SILVER DUPLEX (58245)

Any advise?

User

From what I gather there is not a huge difference between the new line of VX I and VX II. So it's worth thinking carefully if it's worth spending the extra $$$ for a VX II.

Also, I can highly recommend the LR Duplex reticle. I used it again this weekend to safely drop a Kudu @ 330m. Headshot! Don't mean to make outrageous claims about my ability, but if you get your rifle, ammo and scope set up properly and you can get into a steady shooting position - no problem.

User

Bakkies, my 2 cents...

From my recent readings on Leupold scopes the only difference is 'better'/more lens coatings on the VX-2, the mechanism inside is the same. This only changes from the VX-3 to be more robust. Unless your eyesight is a problem or you anticipate much low light shooting then I would go for the 40mm objective as it 'rides' lower on the rifle, etc.

I bought a VX-1 4-12x40 for my Howa .375Ruger but it got diverted to my .243Win when the scope there had issues just before a hunt. Worked very nicely so far thank you. Must still revert it back to the 375 by mid July...

B3

User

I also have a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 with LR Duplex Reticle. I've used it for about 9 years now and am very happy with. It's mounted on a Remington 700 308 with low Warne mounts. I like that it has a thin wall around the eye piece, this made it possible to use the low mounts and still clear the bolt. This thin wall has cut a couple eye brows open though (including my own), it will teach you not to hold your eye to close, just a kiss and one is left with a lekker half moon. Mine has had a few knocks and still works perfectly, I've never had to adjust it.

On the 308 I have it zero'd at 100 yards. At 9x zoom the point of impact at 200 yards is more or less at the first dot and at 300 yards just below the second. I don't think I will ever shoot much past 200. Please see below chart I made.

I also use following methodology to gauge if the animal is within range. (At 9x zoom). Refer to following picture.

Kudu/Wildebeest Shoulder Height is +- 55 inches
    The chest size as indicated 33 inches for the Elk in the picture is about half of the shoulder height at 27 inches
    If the chest for Kudu/Wilde fits between centre and picket this means it's about 350 yards away - too far
    If the chest fits between top and bottom picket then it's about 175 yards away, bullet will hit between centre and first dot

Springbok Shoulder height is about 28 inches
    If whole Springbok fits between centre and picket then about 350 yards away - too far
    If whole Springbok fits between top and bottom picket then it's about 175 yards away, bullet will hit between centre and first dot

User

Biggest difference between the VX-I and VX-II is the lens coatings, and the adjustment knobs. The VX-I is more basic, and can not be easily upgrades to the DBC turrets, if you would have wanted to go that route.

I have the VX-1 4-12x40 duplex reticel, and it has worked absolutely flawlessly.