Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Sub Sonic .308 win

excellent post. I have heard of one or two folk using a similar method on another calibre to slow it down enough to stop meat bruising. .270 swift I believe, could be wrong. At least I know now what Dacron is and how to do this method ;)

User

Very well explained. Thanx.

Banned

It’s fun, but I cannot for the life of me imagine a practical application for these subsonic rounds?
    I personally wouldn’t use them for hunting (YETI)
    Yeti - they awesome to finish game off, I do not like throat cutting, and some animals can be dangerous. I often shoot a hog that kicks for a time, and that bothers me. From few foot a sub sonic head shot and you can hunt 100m down path. Often one shot from a rifle causes animal alertness but not flight. The subbies helps in not making that second everything flees shot. If you really know where your subbies shoots at 25/30m, you can pick off a Duiker while waiting for anything that you were actually hunting for. Had a farmer ask us to please PLEASE try knock off a few moneys for him. Well that would have been a end to our hunt and he knew it but was really at wits end I think. Well again both of us knew subbies at 25/30m and we were able to pick off a few moneys as they walked along the fence tops. Two every time - both aim one shoots - the rest stop for a moment second one and sometimes 3. Also shot crows on a chicken coup from inside a barn 5/6 before they got nervous. My mates are also dispatching trapped animals with subbies now a days. So plenty use - but coupe de grace is a real value use for me, I am very much a "it must not move, or its still suffering" person.

User

sure thing, just take care, as Sub sonics ricochet big time

Banned

That they do - sometimes they just work and end. But any distance = pzzzziiinnggggg. Ya they do become acoustic at any angle of incident. That's why varmint style/grenade style are good. Mono bullets are a no no , big time. lead cast are ok, but really frangible best.

Banned

How would one make a .223 subsonic? I've got MS200 powder and I would like to accessorize my LM with a suppressor sometime in the future. Also, I feel this is a stupid question as I ask it, but do the subsonic cycle at all in the semi-autos?

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    How would one make a .223 subsonic? I've got MS200 powder and I would like to accessorize my LM with a suppressor sometime in the future. Also, I feel this is a stupid question as I ask it, but do the subsonic cycle at all in the semi-autos?
    What you want to shoot with 50-70gn bullet @ 950fps?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post
    probably the same thing as you would as with a subsonic 22LR

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Edwill View Post
    Dunno...political dissidents? Kidding. I'm a sportshooter, so it would be more for fun to see the ballistics and lethality than for any regular use.

User

Thanks to Yeti for this recipe. Loaded up a few rounds last weekend and went plinking on a friends farm.

The shot sounds like a squirrel sneezing with my suppressor and a nice solid plink on impact.

Had all 5 of my mates laughing at how quiet they were and everyone had to have a go.

Now just to find a cheap bullet in the 180gr range. Used some left-over Nosler partitions but its a waste shooting them at steel plates. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast